corner corner The Dry: A Novel

Registered by wingJ4shawwing on 5/23/2017

status (set by Wilena): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing on Tuesday, May 23, 2017

About the author:
Jane Harper is an author who won the 2015 Victorian Premier's Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript for her novel The Dry. The $15,000 award was presented at the opening night of the 2015 Emerging Writers Festival. Harper's winning manuscript was chosen from a shortlist of three from more than 130 entries.
The Dry tells `the story of a city policeman who is dragged back to the country township he fled years earlier to investigate a multiple homicide'.
The Victorian Premier's Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript is administered by the Wheeler Centre.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (6/7/2017 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

MY REVIEW
Ok so firstly I need to point out that earlier this year I read an amazing book, by one of my favourite authors of all time that was similar to "The Dry", so I couldn't not compare the 2.
I have purposely rated this lower than the other book, as I did enjoy that one more.

Ok that over with, what do I have to say about "The Dry".....
I did really enjoy this book and it did stack up to the majority of the hype that has been around it since taking out "book of the year" prize at the Indie Awards back in March.
I do really enjoy reading books set in obscure remote areas of Australia and having lived in the NT for a significant period of time, I really feel at home in that barren dry heat that Australia turns on for most of it's vast land mass.
A gutsy plot for a debut novel - triple suicide - that is well written and really does propel you through the storyline with increasing intrigue into the "who dunnit".

I've seen reviews of people who foresaw the ending and listed that as a downfall of it, but for me there was enough going on throughout the book to keep me engaged enough to not be able to positively pinpoint the ending myself, until I actually got there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have decided to share this book out into the universe by way of an international Bookring. You can sign up to receive it HERE

Participants:
Sedna5213 (Germany - Int shipping)
Penelopewanders (Switzerland - EU shipping)
Icila (France - Int shipping)
Florence71 (France - EU shipping)
ReetPetite (England - Int shipping)
Bookfrogster (Scotland - Int shipping)
JemmaJ (England - Int shipping)
Kiki66 (Germany - Int shipping)
freuju (Germany - Int shipping)
VintageVanguard (Germany - Int shipping)
Jotka (Germany - Int shipping)
iiwi - (Netherlands - Int shipping)
T02S03B11D20 (USA - domestic shipping)
JudySlump612 (USA - Int shipping)

Mcsar (Canada - USA shipping) <<----Book is here
<<<< need someone who can ship to Europe >>>>
Wilena (France - Int shipping)
Estelle1806 (Ireland - Int shipping)
Lamilla - (Belarus - Int shipping)
>>>PM J4shaw<<<

Journal Entry 3 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The book arrived safely in Berlin. Will start reading very soon. Thanks a lot for sharing J4shaw!

****

A very good book, one of those which you want to read in one go!

Journal Entry 4 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/4/2017 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book is on its way to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Wednesday, July 12, 2017

This arrived safely in France (although bookcrossing is being bolshy about letting me indicate that...) A few rings and rays rolling in this summer, but I hope to get to this soon. Thanks so much for sending, and for making it available.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Friday, July 21, 2017

This came in as a ring, and I have to say I'm intrigued to see it seems to be the first in a series. I was immediately caught up in this story. The descriptions of the landscape and the people were very evocative and the plot twisted and turned. I found the main character appealingly ambiguous - could he have done it (the older mystery, obviously) - could his friend have done it? A very good read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Friday, July 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/21/2017 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This now leaves the center of France and heads a bit further towards the coast, if I'm not mistaken... Thanks so much for making this great book available.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Thank you penelopewanders, the book is now with me by the French Atlantic coast. I'm very looking forward to reading it.
A dry season in France, many fires in the South...

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, July 29, 2017

I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put it down within a reasonable hour at nights. So be careful when you plan to begin the reading...

Edit 3/11/17 : There is a sequel:

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, July 31, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (8/1/2017 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

In the mail towards florence71.
Bonne lecture et bonnes vacances !

Journal Entry 11 by Florence71 at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Friday, August 04, 2017

Well received today, thanks Icila ! Another gripping story as I like it !

Journal Entry 12 by Florence71 at Nottingham , Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017

Released 12 mos ago (9/26/2017 UTC) at Nottingham , Nottinghamshire United Kingdom

The book follows his journey towards England. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 13 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 29, 2017

Thanks Florence71 & thanks for the Paris postcard.

Journal Entry 14 by wingReetPetitewing at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 07, 2017

Another author to watch out for. A great read. Thanks for sharing J4shaw.
I found a cute bookmark when I started to read it, is that from you Florence71? Thanks.

Journal Entry 15 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2017

This has now arrived safely in Edinburgh. Thanks Reet-petite and J4Shaw. It looks very good, and I should be able to get it read this week.

Journal Entry 16 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Like the other readers so far I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a great story. There was a lot going on, but not so much that it was confusing. You really could feel the parching heat as you read. Thanks very much for sharing this one. I'd definitely read more by this writer.
I've now got JemmaJ's address so should be able to get this posted by Saturday.

Journal Entry 17 by wingbookfrogsterwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 21, 2017

Released 11 mos ago (10/20/2017 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to JemmaJ, the next person on the list. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by JemmaJ at a BookRing, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Just arrived and I cannot wait to get into this book

Journal Entry 19 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 03, 2017

Almost done with this book - messaged Kiki66 for their address to get ready!

Journal Entry 20 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, November 13, 2017

..and now the book is back in Germany!

thanks for offering - and thanks for sending it my way..
Will start reading immediately ("Rebecca" has to wait ,-))

Journal Entry 21 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Sunday, November 26, 2017

I must admit that for the whole time reading this book I only showered for about three minutes (as was the advice in the room Falk rented..) - and this in a country where we have rain in abundance ;-)
I don't think I could live in a place like described in this book..
As for the story - I liked it, I liked Falk, I never suspected the one who "did" it, but found it rather convincing!
I wasn't so happy with the very final ending though - it left me (at least) with two possibilities. And now I will be always wondering whether he did something with his newfound knowledge or not.

The book will be on its way as soon as I have the next address!

Edit to say that I learned some new Australian words - and I never ever want to meet a huntsman!
But "ute" amused me no end because it is such a German name for a woman ;-))

Edit 2: on its way to Freuju (27.11.17)

Journal Entry 22 by freuju at Waldkirchen, Bayern Germany on Monday, December 04, 2017

The book arrived here in the snowy hills of the Bavarian Forest and I am looking forward to reading a story set in an entirely different landscape. :)

Journal Entry 23 by freuju at Waldkirchen, Bayern Germany on Sunday, December 31, 2017

Great book! I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing!
The book is on its way to Berlin.
A very good new year to everyone! :)

Journal Entry 24 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Arrived in rainy Berlin. The envelope got pretty wet but the book survived the bad weather just fine!

Journal Entry 25 by VintageVanguard at Friedrichshain, Berlin Germany on Thursday, January 25, 2018

This book really made me not wanting to travel to Australia. Ever.
The unbearable heat and dryness, the casual mentioning of dangerous spiders and snakes.

Other than that the book was very good. The crime plot was very good, Harper put me on the wrong track who the murderer could be a couple of times. In the end I got really impatient to know who did it.
The story about Ellie was heart-wrenching and I really hope everyone got what they deserved in the end.

Thank you for offering this as a ring!

Journal Entry 26 by VintageVanguard at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Berlin Germany

Sent to the next person in line. Thank you for offering this ring, I really enjoyed the book!

Journal Entry 27 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Book is now in Cottbus. Thank you very much for sending it. I hope it will be so gut like the other one I have received once from J4shaw (The Household Guide to Dying, http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/6874919/).

March 2018
I can subscribe every word VintageVanguard wrote :)

Journal Entry 28 by Jotka at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (3/14/2018 UTC) at Cottbus, Brandenburg Germany

I'm sending the book today to iiwi.

Journal Entry 29 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, March 22, 2018

Received today!

Journal Entry 30 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, April 24, 2018

This was an enjoyable read, though not one that would make my top of the year. The flashbakcs for instance I found more or less repetative and unnecessary. I am picky about thrillers; I do not read much of them, so when I pick one I tend to choose the ones in which something really catches my interest. In this case the backdrop of Drought in middle Australia.
When Jane Harper moved from the north of England to southeastern Australia, her new home was enduring its worst drought on record. As a reporter on the Geelong Advertiser in the late Noughties, she would visit parched rural farming communities in the state of Victoria, desperate after more than a decade of poor rainfall. I read in the Sunday Times, so she used the tip everyone gets on a creative writing course: write what you know about.

Journal Entry 31 by wingT02S03B11D20wing at Springport, Michigan USA on Saturday, May 05, 2018

Received this yesterday, along with several postcards and bookmarks. There were some origami items, and a little book to record good deeds in. Fun reading them. I also got a large chocolate bar, thank you, that's always great.

Journal Entry 32 by wingT02S03B11D20wing at Springport, Michigan USA on Friday, June 01, 2018

This was an interesting book, in the end. While I was reading it, I liked it. But when I put it down, it seemed like I was not in a hurry to pick it back up. In fact, I read a whole book while I was also reading this one. Maybe half way through it started to get more interesting. Not worth the hype, in my opinion. First time I have read this author.

Journal Entry 33 by wingT02S03B11D20wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 01, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (6/1/2018 UTC) at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA

Going on to the next person in line for this bookring.

Journal Entry 34 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 08, 2018

Arrived here safely today, and I'm very happy to have it. Thank you for all the nice BC goodies, and I'm REALLY impressed by the little book of Travelling Kindness! I must think carefully to choose a worthy act to join the others.

Journal Entry 35 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Wednesday, July 11, 2018

I'm very glad I got to read this book. For one thing, my age and so-so health make it very unlikely I'll ever visit Australia, so reading about it is the closest experience I can get. Also, I did not foresee the ending, although when I re-read the book, the clues were all in plain sight. Good mystery writing, and I'd say Harper deserved the Premier's Award.

Two small episodes stuck in my memory. First, the young Falk watches Mal Deacon shearing his sheep so badly he leaves them bloody. I'm still shocked at this. If there's anyplace in the world that understands and practices good sheep management, surely it's Australia, and here's a man hurting his sheep just because. I can't imagine a better way for Harper to signal how vile he is.

Second, one night the adult Falk goes for a walk at night, and discovers that the river that anchors so many of his boyhood memories is now completely dry and empty. The writing is powerful and evocative, and shows us in two pages how much damage the drought has done.

And curses on my careless head - I've lost the little book of Travelling Kindness! I'd made up my mind that my act of kindness was to send a Wish List book to Mcsar, who has such wonderful taste she's a pleasure to share with. I encourage future readers also to indulge the world with a kindness.

I kept the British Red Cross bookmark. I'm an American Red Cross blood donor and volunteer, two roles that mean a lot to me, so I could not pass up the Red Cross emblem. In fact, if anyone is having trouble thinking of a kindness, how about a blood donation?

Journal Entry 36 by wingJudySlump612wing at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (7/11/2018 UTC) at By Mail, Book Ring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to Mcsar, next in ring

Journal Entry 37 by wingmcsarwing at Richmond, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, July 19, 2018

Thank you J4shaw for sharing the book on a bookring and thank you JudySlump612 for sending the book to me. Your kind comments on the journal entry is making me blush.

Thank you for your act of kindness. I appreciate the wish list book, From Doon with Death by Ruth Rendell. I will surely follow your lead and do an act of kindness upon release.

----------------------------
Updated July 28, 2018

A great debut novel. It is one of the best books I have read this year. The story draws me in right from the get go and the mystery and intense atmosphere sustain the tension throughout the book. I look forward to reading other works by the author.

Journal Entry 38 by wingmcsarwing at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 10, 2018

Released 1 mo ago (8/10/2018 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Finally on its way to the next reader. I hope you enjoy this gripping thriller as much as I did.

Journal Entry 39 by Wilena at Entraigues, Auvergne France on Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The book arrived today ! It comes to the top of my TBR !