corner corner The Dry: A Novel

The Dry: A Novel
by Jane Harper | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingJ4shawwing of Boise, Idaho USA on 5/23/2017

status (set by kiki66): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingJ4shawwing from Boise, Idaho USA on Tuesday, May 23, 2017

About the author:
Jane Harper is an author who won the 2015 Victorian Premier's Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript for her novel The Dry. The $15,000 award was presented at the opening night of the 2015 Emerging Writers Festival. Harper's winning manuscript was chosen from a shortlist of three from more than 130 entries.
The Dry tells `the story of a city policeman who is dragged back to the country township he fled years earlier to investigate a multiple homicide'.
The Victorian Premier's Literary Award for an Unpublished Manuscript is administered by the Wheeler Centre.

Journal Entry 2 by wingJ4shawwing at Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/7/2017 UTC) at Brisbane, Queensland Australia

MY REVIEW
Ok so firstly I need to point out that earlier this year I read an amazing book, by one of my favourite authors of all time that was similar to "The Dry", so I couldn't not compare the 2.
I have purposely rated this lower than the other book, as I did enjoy that one more.

Ok that over with, what do I have to say about "The Dry".....
I did really enjoy this book and it did stack up to the majority of the hype that has been around it since taking out "book of the year" prize at the Indie Awards back in March.
I do really enjoy reading books set in obscure remote areas of Australia and having lived in the NT for a significant period of time, I really feel at home in that barren dry heat that Australia turns on for most of it's vast land mass.
A gutsy plot for a debut novel - triple suicide - that is well written and really does propel you through the storyline with increasing intrigue into the "who dunnit".

I've seen reviews of people who foresaw the ending and listed that as a downfall of it, but for me there was enough going on throughout the book to keep me engaged enough to not be able to positively pinpoint the ending myself, until I actually got there.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have decided to share this book out into the universe by way of an international Bookray. You can sign up to receive it HERE

Participants:
Sedna5213 (Germany - Int shipping)
Penelopewanders (Switzerland - EU shipping)
Icila (France - Int shipping)
Florence71 (France - EU shipping)
ReetPetite (England - Int shipping)
Bookfrogster (Scotland - Int shipping)
JemmaJ (England - Int shipping)

Kiki66 (Germany - Int shipping) <<----Book is here
freuju (Germany - Int shipping)
VintageVanguard (Germany - Int shipping)
Jotka (Germany - Int shipping)
iiwi (Netherlands - Int shipping)
susanna_koh (Malaysia - Int shipping)
JudySlump612 (USA - Int shipping)

Journal Entry 3 by sedna5213 at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, June 21, 2017

The book arrived safely in Berlin. Will start reading very soon. Thanks a lot for sharing J4shaw!

****

A very good book, one of those which you want to read in one go!

Journal Entry 4 by sedna5213 at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (7/4/2017 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book is on its way to the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Wednesday, July 12, 2017

This arrived safely in France (although bookcrossing is being bolshy about letting me indicate that...) A few rings and rays rolling in this summer, but I hope to get to this soon. Thanks so much for sending, and for making it available.

Journal Entry 6 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Saint-Loup-des Vignes, Centre France on Friday, July 21, 2017

This came in as a ring, and I have to say I'm intrigued to see it seems to be the first in a series. I was immediately caught up in this story. The descriptions of the landscape and the people were very evocative and the plot twisted and turned. I found the main character appealingly ambiguous - could he have done it (the older mystery, obviously) - could his friend have done it? A very good read.

Journal Entry 7 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Friday, July 21, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (7/21/2017 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

This now leaves the center of France and heads a bit further towards the coast, if I'm not mistaken... Thanks so much for making this great book available.

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Thank you penelopewanders, the book is now with me by the French Atlantic coast. I'm very looking forward to reading it.
A dry season in France, many fires in the South...

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, July 29, 2017

I was hooked from the first page and couldn't put it down within a reasonable hour at nights. So be careful when you plan to begin the reading...

Edit 3/11/17 : There is a sequel:

Journal Entry 10 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Monday, July 31, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (8/1/2017 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

In the mail towards florence71.
Bonne lecture et bonnes vacances !

Journal Entry 11 by wingflorence71wing at Fontenay-sous-Bois, Ile-de-France France on Friday, August 04, 2017

Well received today, thanks Icila ! Another gripping story as I like it !

Journal Entry 12 by wingflorence71wing at Nottingham , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Monday, September 25, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (9/26/2017 UTC) at Nottingham , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

The book follows his journey towards England. Enjoy !

Journal Entry 13 by ReetPetite at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 29, 2017

Thanks Florence71 & thanks for the Paris postcard.

Journal Entry 14 by ReetPetite at Beeston, Nottinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 07, 2017

Another author to watch out for. A great read. Thanks for sharing J4shaw.
I found a cute bookmark when I started to read it, is that from you Florence71? Thanks.

Journal Entry 15 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 16, 2017

This has now arrived safely in Edinburgh. Thanks Reet-petite and J4Shaw. It looks very good, and I should be able to get it read this week.

Journal Entry 16 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Like the other readers so far I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a great story. There was a lot going on, but not so much that it was confusing. You really could feel the parching heat as you read. Thanks very much for sharing this one. I'd definitely read more by this writer.
I've now got JemmaJ's address so should be able to get this posted by Saturday.

Journal Entry 17 by bookfrogster at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, October 21, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/20/2017 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

And off it goes to JemmaJ, the next person on the list. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 18 by JemmaJ at a BookRing, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Just arrived and I cannot wait to get into this book

Journal Entry 19 by JemmaJ at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 03, 2017

Almost done with this book - messaged Kiki66 for their address to get ready!

Journal Entry 20 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, November 13, 2017

..and now the book is back in Germany!

thanks for offering - and thanks for sending it my way..
Will start reading immediately ("Rebecca" has to wait ,-))