corner corner The Dinner

The Dinner
by Herman Koch | Literature & Fiction
Registered by winggimboidwing of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on 5/2/2017

status (set by chelseagirl): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by winggimboidwing from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017

To be released

Journal Entry 2 by winggimboidwing at Crest Park Street Library in Queanbeyan, New South Wales Australia on Friday, May 05, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (5/5/2017 UTC) at Crest Park Street Library in Queanbeyan, New South Wales Australia

Left in the street library

Journal Entry 3 by skyring at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, June 24, 2017

The Little Free Library must have a leak. Slightly the worse for wear. almost slipped into a puddle of cider at King O'Malleys, where our little band of increasingly merry BookCrossers had a monthly meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by Hotfrog at Queanbeyan, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, June 25, 2017

And I was too slow for Skyring. I retrieved the book from the leaky library yesterday and took it to our King O'Malleys merry meetup. It is now with him.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Monday, August 21, 2017

...And now with me, in Delphi, Greece, kindly delivered in person by skyring : )

I like the sound of your meetings, they seem... messy.

Journal Entry 6 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at Δελφοί - Delphi, Fokida Greece on Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wow, what a novel! I liked “The Dinner” on some aspects but I disliked it on others.

First of all, I “enjoyed” the fact that one had to keep guessing what about the characters. As a reader, one moment you may had established some idea about each one’s personality, you thought you had more or less understand each person and knew how s/he would react or feel, but next moment the author somehow managed to confute your assumptions.

I liked some clever observations on various social aspects and human behavior too, that been part-time ex-pats illusions about fitting in a new country, to elite class’ etiquette towards common people and from fine dining, to children’s adoption. The narrator was very unreliable as were all people in this story, but I enjoyed some of his sarcastic comments, especially early in the book.

But… I find that the book had many flaws too. For starters, it never found a decent pace. The first chapters were far too slow and while the narration was speeding up at times, there would suddenly be flash backs and/or twists and turns slowing down the rhythm, or taking the plot to a completely different direction, often leaving things half-said. This didn’t always work.

The characters of this book were very obnoxious, which is fine with me, but at times they felt very boring too. Whenever they showed some attractive quality as personalities, whenever they revealed a glimpse of decent human feelings, any decent thought or some virtues, the surprise didn’t last long because the author made sure to remind their dull or darker aspects by their awful acts or thoughts or various flash backs next moment. I guess this was the point, but the trick lost its appeal after a while.

The main premise was good but I feel it got far too longwinded; there were lots of reversals and much “turning of the table”, too frequently. I found that some plot twists were unnecessary and the author tried to touch far too many different subjects in one novel. The end of the book got a bit too surreal and too farfetched and “too much” in general.

All in all, an interesting book but the execution could be much better on my opinion...

Journal Entry 7 by wingDelphi_Readerwing at by Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Friday, September 22, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (9/22/2017 UTC) at by Post, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

From Australia to Greece and now on its way to UK. And then...who knows?

"The Dinner" is heading to OBCZ-TowMill on Towcester, Northamptonshire, UK. I believe this book has a tendency to visit pubs and try new beers, so it'll feel like home there. I'm not sure if that's good for its health, but anyway....

Good Luck!

Journal Entry 8 by wingOBCZ-TowMillwing at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 01, 2017

Many thanks for sending this book to be added to the Zone.

Journal Entry 9 by wingOBCZ-TowMillwing at Towcester Mill Brewery OBCZ in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 02, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/2/2017 UTC) at Towcester Mill Brewery OBCZ in Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Donated book - Released upon the shelf in the Turbine Room - book donated by Delphi_Reader; many thanks!

Journal Entry 10 by chelseagirl at Towcester, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Caught this at the recent meet at the Towcester Mill Brewery. Lovely to see everyone!

What a well travelled book!