corner corner Hanging Hill

Hanging Hill
by Mo Hayder | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 5/1/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, May 01, 2017

I found this slightly-battered softcover at the local library's annual book sale. I've enjoyed Hayder's harrowing series about Detective Jack Caffery, and was curious to see how this standalone novel compares.

Later: A good story, gripping and sometimes surprisingly amusing. It's centered on sisters, long-estranged, one of whom is a police detective and the other a divorced housewife who's fretting over the scanty budget and her budding teenage daughter. When a high school girl is found murdered, with oddly-ritualistic aspects to the crime, the investigation brings the sisters together - in an unexpected and dramatic fashion.

I enjoyed the character-development here, with the glimpses at the event that caused the rift between the sisters, and with hints of potential thawing on both sides. And then there's the plot-twist, which... Oh, I wish Alfred Hitchcock were still making films! But maybe somebody else will put this one on the big screen; could be very effective in the right hands...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Livingston Park, off Hookset Rd in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, November 30, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (11/30/2017 UTC) at Livingston Park, off Hookset Rd in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I left this book on the information board at the trailhead by the pond on this chilly afternoon; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 E-less release challenge. ***