corner corner Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
by Vicki Myron | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingTrojanhorsewing of Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on 4/21/2017

status (set by JemmaJ): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingTrojanhorsewing from Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2017

From the back of the book:
"On the coldest morning of the year, Vicki Myron found a tiny, bedraggled kitten almost frozen to death in the night drop box of the library where she worked, and her life - and the town of Spencer, Iowa - would never be the same again.
Dewey, as the townspeople named the kitten, quickly grew into a strutting, adorable library cat whose antics kept patrons in stitches, and whose sixth sense about those in need created hundreds of deep and loving friendships."

Journal Entry 2 by wingTrojanhorsewing at Petersfield, Hampshire United Kingdom on Friday, April 21, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this book the first time round and haven't been disappointed with a recent re-read.
I was delighted when I found this paperback copy in a charity bookshop because now I can share this wonderful true story with other booklovers and cat lovers.
Reserved for a bookring/bookray.

Participants:
Trojanhorse - UK (Ship internationally)
Alectoness - Australia (Ship internationally)
gaboyd - NZ (ship international)
Southernfryed - US (Prefer US, ship international if needed) skipped
penelopewanders - Switzerland (Ship within Europe) <-----Dewey is here
JemmaJ - UK (Ship Europe, international if needed)

Journal Entry 3 by wingTrojanhorsewing at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom on Saturday, May 20, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (5/20/2017 UTC) at A BOOKRAY , -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Posting Dewey to Alectoness in Australia at the start of a bookray.
It's a lovely book, I hope everyone who reads it will enjoy it.
Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 4 by Alectoness at Geelong, Victoria Australia on Saturday, June 03, 2017

I was very excited to find this book in my post office box this morning. I've recently finished 'The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend' and this one gets a mention in there. I'm hoping to read it over the next couple of weeks, and then get it on its way.

Journal Entry 5 by Alectoness at Geelong, Victoria Australia on Friday, June 16, 2017

I really enjoyed reading this book. It's interesting how the 'biography' of a cat, became a portrait not only of Dewey, but also a family, a workplace and the community as a whole. I felt I got to know the narrator and her world, and have continued to think about them after finishing the book.

Thanks very much to Trojanhorse for starting this ring. I have gaboyd's address, so the book will be heading across to New Zealand soon.

Journal Entry 6 by Alectoness at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 18, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/16/2017 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I put this in the mail to gaboyd on Friday. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to cross the Tasman to New Zealand!

Journal Entry 7 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, June 30, 2017

Received today. Thank you
No reply from Southernfreyd

Journal Entry 8 by gaboyd at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, September 15, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (9/15/2017 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Released while at the Post Office

Journal Entry 9 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, September 27, 2017

This has travelled from New Zealand over to the Swiss Alps- thanks so much! I see it heads to the UK next - I'll be there in a few weeks, so might send it from there once I've read it. Thanks for making this available.

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, October 19, 2017

This came in as a ring and at first I wondered what had possessed me to sign up for it... but at the end of the day I enjoyed learning about the fate of Spencer, Iowa, and how it was affected by the various periods of America's more distant and recent past. Interesting how what harsh nature, fire, locusts and the dust bowls barely accomplished, the banks and outside (non-local) industry succeeded - producing economic devastation. I am not sure to what extent the role of Dewey was as instrumental as Vicky Myron contends, but her ability to develop the library into a vibrant community center was surely essential.

Ironically one thing that chafed was the insistance on giving poor Dewey baths... I had a cat who lived to the ripe old age of 18 (going through several of its nine lives) - I don't think he was ever subjected to a bath or some of the other procedures the cat was subjected to at the vets - before they were aware of his condition! It seems to me cats are quite adept at grooming themselves... my cat was always clean and smelled good. I understand the need to warm Dewey when he arrived frozen, but I'm baffled the vet didn't advise against bathing an indoor cat. Combing off extra fur when he was shedding is something else again, but that can be soothing to both cat and the comber. (I hesitate to say "owner" because who owns whom in a cat-human relationship is a rather moot point).

Meanwhile, I read this mostly on a trip from Switzerland to London and will post this on from here. Thanks so much for sending and making it available.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hackney, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, October 21, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/21/2017 UTC) at Hackney, Greater London United Kingdom

Sent this off from a little post office/shop in a lovely market in Hackney today. Happy trails, little book. Again, thanks for making this available, and for sending.

Journal Entry 12 by JemmaJ at a BookRing, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Just arrived! Very excited about getting into this book!