corner corner The Day of the Pelican

The Day of the Pelican
by Katherine Paterson | Children's Books
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/16/2017

status (set by Iddylu): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, April 16, 2017

I found this hardcover (in good condition, but featuring a fair amount of underlining by a previous reader) at a local thrift shop. It's about Meli, a young girl whose family is Albanian and who live in Kosovo - until they're displaced and forced to join hundreds of other refugees. And Meli thinks it's all her fault for drawing a funny picture of her teacher and his "pelican nose"...

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, 153 Hawthorne Rd. in Waltham, Massachusetts USA on Monday, February 12, 2018

Released 9 mos ago (2/12/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library, 153 Hawthorne Rd. in Waltham, Massachusetts USA

I left this book in the Little Free Library; hope someone enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in MA here.]

*** Released for the 2018 Great Backyard Bird Count release challenge. See this year's GBBC here. ***

Journal Entry 3 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Thursday, August 09, 2018

Picked this up at the LFL on Hawthorne Road in Waltham, MA on my way down south. I *think* I might already own a copy of this, but I'm not positive, so I'm taking it just in case! The story looks interesting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingIddyluwing at Durham, New Hampshire USA on Saturday, November 03, 2018

It's very short and kind of simplistic, but it's for young readers (pre-YA), so I can forgive that! Especially since it's about the Kosovo War, which isn't exactly a common subject for children's books. And I liked the underlining: it was fun to see what an earlier reader had found particularly memorable/notable!

Journal Entry 5 by wingIddyluwing at Kavanagh Park in Old Saybrook, Connecticut USA on Saturday, November 10, 2018

Released 2 days ago (11/10/2018 10:00 PM UTC) at Kavanagh Park in Old Saybrook, Connecticut USA

"These are in complete disarray," says my aunt, before diving in to fix things up.