corner corner Gaudy Night

Gaudy Night
by Dorothy L. Sayers | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/10/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Monday, April 10, 2017

I've loved Sayers' "Lord Peter" novels and stories for decades, and I re-read my copies often - and I like to find spare copies to release. When I found this somewhat yellowed but still-readable '60s paperback at a local thrift shop, I nabbed it.

This is perhaps the least typical of the "Lord Peter" books, largely because in this one it's Harriet Vane who is the main character, with Lord Peter getting much less time than usual. This story also deals with an unusual crime - instead of the murders-under-suspicious-circumstances of the other books, this one begins with Harriet stumbling across a poison-pen/vandalism scandal at her old college during a visit. She's trying to detach herself completely from Lord Peter, and opts to come stay at the college for a longer period - to do some research of her own and to help investigate the ongoing disturbances.

When I first read the series, this book was one of my least favorites - at the time I just wanted more of Lord Peter and Bunter and the convoluted crimes that came his way. But while I still love all the books, this one's improved quite a bit in my estimation over the years, and I find myself enjoying every aspect of it, from Peter's continuing courtship (perhaps the most idealized brain-to-brain wooing between equals that's been put in print) and Harriet's own detective work to the academic discussions among the college staff and students about everything from the manners of today's youth to issues of women in academia. (The occasional comic turn - as when Peter's nephew makes an unexpected and dramatic appearance - lightens the story, but it's a lot more introspective than most of the books. That's another aspect that I appreciate more every time I re-read it.)

Strongly recommended. [But it's best enjoyed after you've read the preceding Wimsey books, or at least the Wimsey-Vane ones: Strong Poison and Have His Carcase.]

Also recommended: the TV mini-series adaptation starring Edward Petherbridge and Harriet Walter.

[There's a TV Tropes page on the "Lord Peter" books, with some entertaining tidbits.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Commercial St. (see notes for details) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 21, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Commercial St. (see notes for details) in Manchester, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book, bagged against the elements, near the "Mill Girl" statue on Commercial St. at around 2:30 or so. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for International BookCrossing Day! ***