corner corner The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord
by Cornelia Funke | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 4/5/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017

I found this slightly-battered softcover at a local thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy.

I first discovered this book years ago via its advertisements on BookCrossing - this was back in the early days of the site, too. At the time I "read" it via audio download - in fact I think it was my first Audible.com purchase - and only later picked up my first text addition. Since then I've released several copies.

The story is about a pair of brothers, Prosper and Bo; they've been orphaned, and their aunt only wants to keep the angelic-looking little boy Bo, so she puts Prosper in an orphanage. He escapes, collects Bo, and the two of them head for Venice, which their mother had often told them about in stories. There, lost on the streets, they fall in with a group of children who are living in an abandoned movie theatre and are led by the enigmatic Thief Lord - who's no older than the other kids, but who supports them all from the proceeds of his daring robberies. But the aunt follows them and hires a detective to hunt them out, even as the group is attempting to pull of its biggest heist yet, one that would make them all secure...

I enjoyed this moody "lost boys in Venice" tale very much, especially the ongoing surprises as we learn who the Thief Lord really is, and then the truth about the big caper he and his band have been hired to carry out, and then... well, there's a biggish surprise near the end that I won't give away! I liked the way each of the children had their own strengths and weaknesses, and how Funke made them likeable without being saccharine; and the adult characters, good, evil, or borderline, held my interest. A satisfactory resolution, yet with hints of regret... very enjoyable.

[There's a decent film version of the book. I believe it went directly to DVD, though I don't know why it didn't hit theaters first; while it does skip some of the deeper/darker aspects of the book (and, sadly, reduces the character of Hornet to a mere supporting player) it's remarkably faithful to the story for the most part and as book-to-film adaptations go is quite good. OK, and the actor who plays Scipio, the Thief Lord, is exceedingly charming - and closer to 16 than the 12 he is in the book, which I found interesting {grin}. And the TV Tropes page for this book has some entertaining info, but beware of spoilers!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Welcome Center on the Maine Turnpike in Kittery, Maine USA on Friday, April 21, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Welcome Center on the Maine Turnpike in Kittery, Maine USA

I left this book on a little table near a window inside the welcome center at around 3 on this rainy day. Hope the finder enjoys it!

*** Released for International BookCrossing Day! ***