corner corner Just an Ordinary Day

Just an Ordinary Day
by Shirley Jackson | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/28/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

I found this fair-condition softcover at a local thrift shop, and nabbed it for another release copy. (I'm using this year's International BookCrossing Day bookplate, to go with the title - it's just an ordinary day, only... not!)

I've loved Jackson's bizarre, disturbing, funny and/or terrifying stories since I first encountered them via the school-assignment classic "The Lottery". This book's a collection of her stories that were either completely unpublished or that had been published only in magazines and never collected in book form. And it's a very enjoyable collection! Some of my favorites:

"Dinner for a Gentleman", in which a magical pie-maker helps improve the protagonist's love-life; "Jack the Ripper," the title of which gives more than a hint about the story, but which gets there rather unexpectedly; "Come to the Fair," another offbeat romantic comedy; "What a Thought," in which a spur-of-the-moment mental image of homicide interrupts a cozy domestic scene; "When Barry Was Seven," a charming biographical vignette about a young boy's budding interest in books ("the heaviest book I ever owned"); the haunted "Story We Used To Tell"; the shopper's-nightmare comedy(?) "Mrs. Melville Makes a Purchase"; and the classic chillers "One Ordinary Day, with Peanuts" and "The Possibility of Evil". For inducing vague unease - or unexpected humor - it's hard to beat Jackson!

[There's a TV Tropes page on Jackson and some of her work.]

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Little Free Library, Kearsarge Way in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 21, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library, Kearsarge Way in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I left this book in the cute Little Free Library with the penny-covered roof at around 4 on this rainy day; hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for International BookCrossing Day! ***