corner corner Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods

Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods
by Sandor Ellix Katz | Cooking, Food & Wine
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 3/10/2017

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, March 10, 2017

I got this good-condition softcover online, after becoming intrigued by the many foods based on fermentation. The book touches on a wide variety of such foods, from the oldest known - beer! - to bread to vinegar and sauerkraut and much, much more. The author describes the history of each, and suggests ways to try them yourself, whether using commercial products to trigger the fermentation or attempting to gather wild yeasts or other microbes.

The author's tone is jolly, yet informative; he's clearly very enthusiastic about his subject, and his descriptions of his own experiments (whether successful or not) are always entertaining.

There are recipes, suggestions for using the resulting products, suggested sources for material and equipment, and much more. I made notes of lots of things here, from "sour beets" (like sauerkraut but, you know, with beets!) to miso pickles (yep, miso is fermented too) to a sour corn drink made by the Cherokee. (I was pleased to see recipes for shrub and switchel, but I make those myself already.)

Very good book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA on Friday, April 21, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (4/21/2017 UTC) at Portsmouth Brewery in Portsmouth, New Hampshire USA

I plan to leave this book in the entrance of the brew-pub at around 5 or so when I stop by for dinner. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]

*** Released for the 2017 Into the Wild release challenge. ***