corner corner Oscar Wilde and a Death of No Importance: A Mystery (Oscar Wilde Murder Mystery Series)

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 23, 2017

Loved, loved, loved this! I couldn't put it down.

With mostly real people as characters, as well as many actual events, this was a fantastic read. I read it with computer or tablet close at hand and stopped frequently to look up people, places, and events. The author treats Oscar Wilde's complex character and double life with care and respect. I got an excellent feel for Victorian society and the London of that time, and feel like hopping on the next flight to go visit everyplace that's mentioned! If only!

I've never read any Sherlock Holmes but after learning more about Arthur Conan Doyle I now plan to. And I never had any idea that he and Oscar Wilde had actually met. I also would love to learn more about the interesting and in some ways tragic figure that was Oscar's wife, Constance.

That's the problem with a good book - reading one can open up a thirst for the knowledge contained in ten more! :-) But we bookcrossers know that already.

Enough rambling! Conclusion: This was awesome! I can't wait to read the next installment (Oscar Wilde and the Ring of Death, aka Oscar Wilde and a Game Called Murder).

Amazon:
Lovers of historical mysteries will relish this chilling Victorian tale based on real events and cloaked in authenticity. The first in a series of fiendishly clever historical murder mysteries, it casts British literature’s most fascinating and controversial figure as the lead sleuth.

A young artist’s model has been murdered, and legendary wit Oscar Wilde enlists his friends Arthur Conan Doyle and Robert Sherard to help him investigate. But when they arrive at the scene of the crime they find no sign of the gruesome killing—save one small spatter of blood, high on the wall. Set in London, Paris, Oxford, and Edinburgh at the height of Queen Victoria’s reign, here is a gripping eyewitness account of Wilde’s secret involvement in the curious case of Billy Wood, a young man whose brutal murder served as the inspiration for The Picture of Dorian Gray. Told by Wilde’s contemporary—poet Robert Sherard—this novel provides a fascinating and evocative portrait of the great playwright and his own “consulting detective,” Sherlock Holmes creator, Arthur Conan Doyle.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, January 23, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/23/2017 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry it's so late.

Hope you like it even half as much as I did! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by erishkigal at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Friday, February 24, 2017

Thank you, eponine38! I chose the first 'Oscar Wilde' mystery I read just because it was Wilde, and enjoyed it so much I promptly added others to my wishlist :) So I'm sure I shall love this one, too!! In fact, I started reading in bed last night, and am already entranced! Thank you again, and my apologies for not getting it journalled right away~~

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Monday, November 27, 2017

Got home tonight from volunteering at The Book Thing of Baltimore to find this book and one from eponine38 on my door step. I think that’s a literary hat trick.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Thursday, December 28, 2017

An excellent mystery and a glimpse of the world of the Victorian glitterati. I would advise any reader to prepare for a lot of tangents and apparent ramblings by the narrator, albeit in a witty Oscar Wilde sort of fashion. There is a strong flavor of Sherlock Holmes in the story -- even more than you might expect with Conan Doyle as a chief character -- as well as Mycroft. Wilde's wit abounds and Sherard's naivete of Wilde's now-famous romantic inclinations is astonishing (especially given that it was "written" 50 years after the events took place) as a great deal of time is spent among the world of young men for sale veiled by the euphemisms of Victorian England. The mystery was well-done; I had some suspicions about the solution and the motives, but I was not completely correct.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, January 20, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

This book is going to meet-up with me today and hopefully going home with someone else.

Journal Entry 7 by wingKateKintailwing at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

Picked this up from the BCinDC meetup today. I have at least one other book in this series on Mountain Range To Be Read right now. I'm definitely an Oscar Wilde fan, so I am certainly interested in this one.