corner corner Tom Thomson: The Life and Mysterious Death of the Famous Canadian Painter

Tom Thomson: The Life and Mysterious Death of the Famous Canadian Painter
by Jim Poling Sr. | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 1/13/2017

status (set by JessicaEby): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Friday, January 13, 2017

I have decided to dedicate my 2017 BookCrossing activity to Canadian culture/literature in honour and celebration of the 150th anniversary of my country's confederation.

Tom Thomson was an influential figure in Canada's art world, and many would say he was influential to the development of our cultural identity as a whole. His work is well-known and well-loved; the mysteries surrounding his death, which occurred 100 years ago this year, are infamous. Because of all of that, I thought he was a good figure to include in my 2017 reading-and-sharing project. Also, I wanted to read a basic, factual account of what happened, and I am hoping that this Thomson biography from the Amazing Stories collection will prove to be just that. I do have a release in mind for this, but I'll have to read quickly to make it happen.

Personally, I am a fan of Tom Thomson's art. The first time that I remember seeing it in person was at the National Gallery in Ottawa when I was 12 years old. I'm not sure that was actually the first time I saw a Tom Thomson painting in person, but it's the first time that I remember seeing one. As I have grown up and seen more of my "home and native land" I have only become more fond of his portrayals of it. They remind me of some lyrics from a song I've known since I was a little girl:

My country is my cathedral,
the Northern sky's my dome;
they all call it Canada,
but I call it Home.

The mountains, the lakes and valleys
are friends that I have known;
they all call it Canada,
but I call it Home.

I am excited to read and share this book.

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 14, 2017

Well, I did it-- I read quickly! I think this book proved to be what I was looking for-- a fairly clear, concise book that covered the basic facts and theories without getting nearly as confusing as some books I've found on the subject! It seems like it would be a pretty good introduction for people not overly familiar with the Tom Thomson story. I hope to leave it soon, hopefully with some of Tom's work.

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 21, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/21/2017 UTC) at Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto, Ontario Canada

I left this book among Tom's paintings, just before my 3:30 entry to Mystical Landscapes. I left it on a small table in the centre of the room.

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2017 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. Toronto was Town #3 for me!