corner corner Canadian Boys Who Rocked the World

Canadian Boys Who Rocked the World
by Tanya Lloyd Kyi | History
Registered by JessicaEby of Cambridge, Ontario Canada on 1/7/2017

status (set by JessicaEby): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by JessicaEby from Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 07, 2017

I've had this book's companion book (Canadian Girls Who Rocked the World ) for years, and oddly enough, on the very day I decided to bookcross that book, I found this one at a used book store in my neighbouring city of Kitchener, ON while looking for something else! I thought that I should read and release this one too.

As a way of celebrating the 150th anniversary of my country's Confederation, I have decided to dedicate my 2017 bookcrossing to sharing Canadian stories/literature. This book was written by a Canadian woman about some of the important young men in Canada's history, so it seems like this will be a good one to share this year! I don't know where/when I will release it yet.

Journal Entry 2 by JessicaEby at Cambridge, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 28, 2017

This was an interesting read. At times I wondered how the author went about deciding who to feature and who not to feature... but however she did it, the book ended up as an interesting mix of guys that everyone's heard of, and guys that did important stuff that not everyone knows about.

There were a couple of the "Boys Around the World" segments that I didn't think were the best examples of boys "rocking the world," or at least not in a good way, but my only real grievance was that I noticed a couple of issues with dates in this book. It says Tecumseh did something in 1814, then goes on to say--correctly, so-- that he died in 1813. It also says that Dr. Kozo Shimotakahara was born in 1855, which doesn't add up with the rest of the dates in his segment. According to a bit of additional research I've done he was born in 1886, which makes the dates work much better.

Anyway, aside from a couple of minor things, I enjoyed this book. Like I said, it was interesting and it brought to my attention some historical facts and figures that I wasn't as aware of as I should have been! I intend to move this book along, and I hope to leave it somewhere relating to one of the Canadian Boys featured in the book. That leaves me with a fairly short list of viable spots, but a list nonetheless, so we'll see!

Journal Entry 3 by JessicaEby at Elvis Stojko Arena in Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 28, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (1/28/2017 UTC) at Elvis Stojko Arena in Richmond Hill, Ontario Canada

Elvis Stojko Arena in Richmond Hill was the place I picked in the end! Richmond Hill-- the town where Elvis Stojko grew up-- was just off the path of where I had to go today anyway, so I made a slight detour in order to leave this book at an arena named in honour of one of the "Canadian Boys Who Rocked the World." Watching Elvis skate is among my childhood memories, and so is the taste of arena fries, so I grabbed an order while I was there and left this book by the ketchup etc ;-)

If you've found this book, thanks for picking it up and checking out its journal! If you're new to bookcrossing, welcome. We'd love it if you'd stick around with us a while. I really hope that you enjoy both this book and the whole bookcrossing experience!

This book was released as part of the 2017 "52 Towns in 52 Weeks" Release Challenge. Richmond Hill was Town #4 for me!