corner corner Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz

Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz
by Olga Lengyel | Nonfiction
Registered by Stephario of Decatur, Alabama USA on 12/18/2016

status (set by book_drunkard): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Stephario from Decatur, Alabama USA on Sunday, December 18, 2016

Olga Lengyel tells, frankly and without compromise, one of the most horrifying stories of all time. This true, documented chronicle is the intimate, day-to-day record of a woman who survived the nightmare of Auschwitz and Birkenau. It was a shocking experience. It is a shocking book. -- summary from back of the book.

Journal Entry 2 by Stephario at Decatur, Alabama USA on Sunday, December 18, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (12/19/2016 UTC) at Decatur, Alabama USA

Adding to Eddie's Mixed Box of Books

Journal Entry 3 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, January 07, 2017

I picked this book out of book_drunkard's This-n-That Bookbox. Many years ago, I visited Dachau Concentration Camp. The hair just stood up on the back of my neck as I walked around the grounds. There was a constant sadness & heaviness in the air that was hard to shake off. That same time, I visited the Anne Frank house/museum. In 2015, my family and I went to the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. It is a must see, if you are ever visiting our nation's capital. Anyway, I am always looking for more books about the Holocaust. It's as if I need to connect, somehow, to those who went through such a horrible tragedy. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 4 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Sunday, February 05, 2017

It did not take me long to read Five Chimneys. It has to be one of the more graphic narratives I have read about the atrocities committed in German concentration camps. It was so difficult, at times, to read Olga Lengyel's accounts. One, of course, hears the stories and see documentaries regarding prisoners' treatment but, Lengyel does a good job of bringing the nightmares home to the reader. I highly recommend this book for those who dare to delve into this incredibly heart wrenching subject.

I am saving this for the second round of book_drunkard's This-n-That Bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Saturday, August 19, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (8/19/2017 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

I am sending this book off to book_drunkard. This was on her Wishlist.

Journal Entry 6 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017

This one has been on my wishlist forever - squeals! - thank you so much for sending it to me!!!