corner corner Grief is the Thing with Feathers

Grief is the Thing with Feathers
by Max porter | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Sparkish of Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on 12/6/2016

status (set by WormyOne): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Sparkish from Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 06, 2016

Once upon a time there was a crow who wanted nothing more than to care for a pair of motherless children...

In a London flat, two young boys face the unbearable sadness of their mother's sudden death. Their father, a Ted Hughes scholar and scruffy romantic, imagines a future of well-meaning visitors and emptiness.

In this moment of despair they are visited by Crow - antagonist, trickster, healer, babysitter. This sentimental bird is drawn to the grieving family and threatens to stay until they no longer need him.

Ray order - this may change if more people join.

Please try to read in around a month

CanticleLost - USA - International
BOOKWORMINUSALL - International
Edwardstreet - NZ - International
Sharlan - Sweden - Europe
penelopewanders - Europe
Boekentrol - Netherlands - Europe
Anathema-device - Austria - International
Cassandra2020 - UK - UK only
Okarih - UK - Europe (Please check Vaga-bond still has an address in France)
Vaga-bond - International
Wormyone - UK - UK only

Journal Entry 2 by Sparkish at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Released 6 mos ago (12/14/2016 UTC) at Fleckney, Leicestershire United Kingdom

Travelling to Canticle Lost the first recipient of this bookray- really hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 3 by CanticleLost at West Palm Beach, Florida USA on Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Checked the mail yesterday and there it was! What a lovely, slender book. I've already started reading it and anticipate a quick finish. Thank you for the cute little holiday card that it came with, Sparkish!

Journal Entry 4 by CanticleLost at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, January 12, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (1/11/2017 UTC) at -- BOOKRAY, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This was a very uniquely written book and I enjoyed it. Very strange, but somehow endearing. Thank you for letting me be a part of the ray!

On its way to BOOKWORMINUSALL
Tracking#: 9449010200829274782970 via USPS

Journal Entry 5 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Mesa, Arizona USA on Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Just a little while ago, these "Feathers" arrived here in Arizona from CanticleLost in Florida...THANK YOU!!! ; ) I've PMd Edwardstreet in Wellington Province, who is next in line, so I'll already have the address label ready to send this little book on its Journey once I've read it. Thank you again for including me in your Bookray, Sparkish. ; )

UPDATE prior to Controlled Release Notes tomorrow when I send this on it's Journey:

I'd never heard of Max Porter before this title caught my eye in Sparkish's Bookray. He is certainly no Emily Dickinson, and I'm not certain how he is able to use a portion of an Emily Dickinson writing as the title to his book, and an Emily Dickinson composition with his strike outs to begin his book, but the JOY of BOOKCROSSING allows us to experience authors that we would not normally choose or be exposed to. I was excited to recieve it, and opened and started reading it right away, only to be sorely disappointed, as I was unable to get past the dark to find the light in this one. Perhaps I'll try another time, a long way down the line on life's road. After reading the book's front and back covers filled with reviews, the front cover inside flap, followed by three more pages of reviews before the story even started to begin, I wasn't quite certain what to expect. I'm still not, but I do know that after only making it through the first 8 pages (I also read the last page), this book does not offer the comfort this grieving soul in a slump is in need of. I'm certain it will probably be just perfect for someone else though, so I'm sending it off on it's Journey, and very much appreciate the opportunity to take a look at it.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBOOKWORMINUSALLwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (1/18/2017 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

HAPPY READING!

Traveling to EdwardStreet via First Class Mail, but alas...no tracking number. ; )

Journal Entry 7 by wingEdwardstreetwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, February 08, 2017

A letter box surprise, I have just finished a book so this can leapfrog to the top of Mt TBR as it is a ray and needs to get on its way soon. Thank you for sending so far.

Journal Entry 8 by wingEdwardstreetwing at rabck by post or hand, -- Tåg, bussar och färjor -- Sweden on Sunday, February 12, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (2/13/2017 UTC) at rabck by post or hand, -- Tåg, bussar och färjor -- Sweden

On its way to the next person in the ray.
It will need all its feathers to fly such a huge distance - New Zealand to Sweden

Journal Entry 9 by sharlan at Djura, Dalarna Sweden on Thursday, February 23, 2017

The book arrived here earlier this week. Thank you!

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Friday, March 03, 2017

This arrived today in glittery paper with a beautiful card- thank you so much! I will try to get to this soon but have another ring to tackle first. Thanks so much for making this available, and thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Thursday, March 09, 2017

This arrived as a bookcrossing ring - yet again something I signed up for and between the signing up and the arrival, all knowledge of what prompted me to do so had evaporated. I actually enjoy that - often there's at least a year between the two events, and life has trodden on relentlessly.
I read this between radiation sessions - something I never would have guessed would be a part of my life when I signed up. So reading about death, and grief, and a husband and children left behind, takes a whole different poignancy. I hasten to mention that my situation is not the same at all - not only am I not dead, but the prognosis of my illness is totally optimistic.
As for the book itself, I feel remiss in not being more familiar with Hughes. I have read the standard Sylvia Plaths and may even have seen a film or something about their relationship, but the crow does not ring a bell. I thought the title was related to an Emily Dickenson poem...
Anyway, the read was quick and finally quite moving. I think I appreciated the scene with the ashes most.
I will contact the next in line for the address. Thanks so much for making this available.

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France on Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (3/28/2017 UTC) at Beaune-la-Rolande, Centre France

Having been driven from Switzerland to France, this now leaves for the Netherlands. Thanks for making this available. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, March 31, 2017

This book arrived in the mail today. Thank you for sending on, penelopewanders, and for making it available, sparkish!

Look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 14 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Sunday, April 09, 2017

A strange book. Sad, at times hilarious and funny, but by it's strange form of writing it gives a good idea on how shattered the father and his sons are.
Not an east book, both considering style and content, but I'm happy to have read it.

Journal Entry 15 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 15, 2017

Released 2 mos ago (4/15/2017 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

Sent out to Austria today to the next in line.
Hope is arrives quicly and safely.

Journal Entry 16 by winganathema-devicewing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, April 25, 2017

The bookring has arrived in Austria! Thank you for passing this on to me. I've been looking forward to reading it. Also, I've got a couple of flights coming up, which means that the book gets to travel some more while it's with me, and I get some much needed bide-the-time-around-airports reading material.

Journal Entry 17 by winganathema-devicewing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Well, turns out I couldn't wait and read it all in one go last night. I like the central idea and execution; it does make a lot of sense to me. My favourite part is pages 50 and 51 (Crow telling the Dad he sounds like a fridge magnet; Crow and the Boys hiding in the green).
I've contacted Cassandra2020, who is next in line, and shall send the book on to her as soon as I've got her address / after the holiday. (Sort of weird, since I'll be in the UK myself in the meantime, but there you go.)
Thanks everyone for sharing this book with me. Crow: From the Life and Songs of the Crow by Ted Hughes has been on my BC wishlist since October 2013. I hope I'll find the time to read it soon.

Journal Entry 18 by winganathema-devicewing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (5/2/2017 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

Annnd Crow is flying to Scotland! Enjoy, Cassandra2020! :)

Journal Entry 19 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 09, 2017

Found on the doormat when I arrived home from visiting my Dad. Am about halfway through my current book (although I only started it yesterday afternoon, so shouldn't take long) so will be the next one to be read.

Thank you Anathema-device for posting on and to Sparkish for organising!

Journal Entry 20 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, May 15, 2017

Grief is the thing with feathers by Max Porter - Very Good

What a deeply moving book. It's prose, but reads almost like a poem. It's about bereavement and grief, love and loss. A father left with two young boys to raise. There's no 'story' as such, just the rage and grief and emotions brought to life in 'the crow' that feels as though it is part of their lives as they come to grips with what has happened. It really does deal well with the stages of grief and there is the glimmer of hope towards the end.

Whilst it's not a cheery book, I'm glad I read it but, all the way through all I could think about is a fellow bookcrosser thatlost her partner earlier this year leaving her a very young daughter to raise along with two older (one adult, one teen) boys from a previous partner. Her posts on facebook as she deals with her rage and grief are very similar. I'm left to wonder whether to recommend it to her. Possibly not... or not yet.

By some quirk of fate, I just got Okarih's address for a Ray I'm kicking off so will package them up together and get them on their way ASAP

Journal Entry 21 by Cassandra2020 at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (5/16/2017 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Posted on to Okarih.

Hope you enjoy the book

Journal Entry 22 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 19, 2017

The book arrived yesterday - I got 2 in the package which was a lovely surprise! Thank you for posting this to me, Cassandra2020!

Journal Entry 23 by wingokarihwing at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (5/31/2017 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

The way this book is written is strange and unique. It gave me the sense of chaos, disorganisation, and a disjointed mess, but maybe it's written in this way to give the reader that feeling.
This was a very moving book. I burst into tears when I read the last couple of paragraphs on p96.... "We were careful to age her, never trap her. Careful to name her Granny, when Dad became Grandpa. We hope she likes us."

Thank you for the opportunity to read this book! I have sent the book to Vaga-bond in France today.

Journal Entry 24 by vaga-bonde at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Saturday, June 03, 2017

Got the book today in France where I vacation at the moment. A special thank you to okarih who made sure I received it here in order to forward it back to the UK after I'm finished. I will start reading it right away!

Journal Entry 25 by vaga-bonde at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Released 2 wks ago (6/6/2017 UTC) at Washington, District of Columbia USA

A very moving and poetic little novel, about grief, and how to continue living with it. Unlike anything I had ever read before, and it made me discover Ted Hughes as a bonus. Thank you so much Sparkish for initiating this book ray!
Will be mailed today to WormyOne.

Journal Entry 26 by WormyOne at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Friday, June 16, 2017

It's arrived safely. Many thanks to vaga-bonde and Sparkish.