corner corner Thinking, Fast and Slow

Thinking, Fast and Slow
by Daniel Kahneman | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingResQgeekwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 12/1/2016

status (set by Spatial): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingResQgeekwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 01, 2016

A friend gave this to me because she thought I might want to read it. After reading the blurb on the back cover, I think I agree with her. To be read and then released.

Journal Entry 2 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, April 11, 2018

This book is a powerful description of the research findings that describe the ways our brains process information, shedding light on the ways our brain uses heuristics or shortcuts to arrive an intuitive answers quickly. However, while these heuristics produce generally reliable results in common, day-to-day situations, they do have built in biases that can lead to predictable errors in decision making. The problem is that we are blind to these biases, and we do not experience the errors as such until they are carefully pointed out to us. The author does an excellent job of describing the mechanisms that result in these biases and errors, and provides specific suggestions for strategies to either detect or avoid them.

While dense with facts and explanations, this book is written in an entirely accessible prose, so one does not need to be an expert in psychology to understand the concepts. However, the font size is small, and the book is long, so be prepared to spend no small amount of time working through this material. And be sure to read the journal articles attached as appendices...they provide a nice review of the concepts discussed in the book.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSpatialwing at Arlington, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 17, 2018

Thank you, ResQgeek for bringing it to today's meetup!

May reserve for a Science Bookbox.