corner corner A Highland Christmas (Hamish Macbeth Mysteries, No. 16)

A Highland Christmas (Hamish Macbeth Mysteries, No. 16)
by M. C. Beaton | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 11/28/2016

status (set by Bookworm-lady): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 28, 2016

I'd never read any of Beaton's Hamish Macbeth Series (though I've read and enjoyed a few of her books featuring sleuth Agatha Raisin), and I rarely start in the middle of a series, but this was a fun, light Christmastime read. It's #16 in the series, so I lacked the background on Hamish's personality and character that regular readers would have. (To partially remedy that, I read about him on Wikipedia). :-)

In this installment, there is no murder, but Hamish has plenty to do: helping to find a lost cat, searching for stolen Christmas lights, and trying to make a nice Christmas for a local girl whose parents don't believe in gift-giving at this time of year. I got a sense of rural Scotland and Christmas observances (or lack thereof!) in those parts.

A quick, light read for the holidays!
Celebrate the Holidays with M. C. Beaton, The Queen of The Cozy Mystery. In the dark, wintry highlands of Lochdubh, Scotland, where the local Calvinist element resists the secular trimmings of Christmas, the spirit of Old St. Nick is about as welcome as a flat tire on a deserted road. Nor is crime taking a holiday, as Constable Hamish Macbeth soon finds himself protecting an unhappy girl, unlocking the secrets of a frightened old woman, and retrieving some stolen holiday goods. Now the lanky lawman must use all his Highland charm and detective skills to make things right. And he had better do it quickly, for the church bells will soon toll and all of Lochdubh will be forced to face another dreary winter without the comforting embrace of Yuletide cheer.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, November 28, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/28/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Winging its way to the winner of Abi-Gibby's Christmas sweepstakes. Safe travels!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Friday, December 16, 2016

Brilliant! Thanks for sending this book to me, I am sure I will enjoy reading it.
And thanks for the rest of Xmas goodies... you have been a star.
Merry Christmas to you too!! :)