corner corner Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet

Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet
by Sonia Leong, William Shakespeare, Richard Appignanesi | Graphic Novels
Registered by winganathema-devicewing of Graz, Steiermark Austria on 11/14/2016

status (set by nimrodiel): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winganathema-devicewing from Graz, Steiermark Austria on Monday, November 14, 2016

Attention: This is a "westernized" (i.e. mirrored) manga. It reads from left to right.

Recently learned about the existence of this series, so of course I had to take a closer look! - And, well, it was interesting. At first it took me some time to get used to the manga aesthetic applied to Shakespeare, but soon I could concentrate on which passages they had chosen to tell the story. And interesting: in this version, the lovers hardly touch (at least from what we get to see), they spend much more time crying and generally being miserable. But I thought the gang of Montague boys were hilarious (as they should be), and I also enjoyed the funny bit of dialogue between Juliet and the nurse (angry chibi Juliet: "Your love says like an honest gentleman, 'Where is your mother?'") And the scene with Romeo in exile was clearly inspired by Baz Luhrman's film adaptation (what with Romeo sulking outside a mobile home). The only thing I found really disturbing was that Juliet's dad strikes both his daughter and his wife!
All in all, it was very interesting - but like with most mainstream manga, I wish that stylistically it had done more.

Journal Entry 2 by winganathema-devicewing at Graz, Steiermark Austria on Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (11/15/2016 UTC) at Graz, Steiermark Austria

This book goes to the winner of the 12th Manga & Graphic Novel Sweepstakes. Congratulations and enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 3 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 06, 2016

this looks interesting! I am a firm fan of Romeo and Juliet so look forward to reading this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Wednesday, May 24, 2017

I thought that the play lent itself well to this adaptation. It was very abridged, and like you anathema-device I found it interesting which dialogue that was chosen to stay. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Journal Entry 5 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Saturday, May 27, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (7/1/2017 UTC) at Evanston, Illinois USA

I am using this to seed a new graphic novel and manga book box.

Journal Entry 6 by wingGoryDetailswing at Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 05, 2017

I've read this before, so I'm leaving it in the manga bookbox, but wanted to add my comments.

I like the "Manga Shakespeare" series very much; while not all of the manga adaptations are equally effective, many of them are surprisingly good. This one tackles perhaps the best-known play, setting the story in modern Tokyo and making the feuding families yakuza (Japanese gangsters). Romeo's a pop star, Tybalt's a tattooed swordsman, Mercutio has dreadlocks, etc.

The adaptation includes many details from the play, and the illustrations add a nice touch - when the nurse is nattering about Juliet's upcoming 14th birthday and recalls fondly how she "laid wormwood to my nipple" to wean her many years ago, Juliet makes a wonderfully wry face, perfect schoolgirl embarrassment. And the manga conventions allow for more cuteness when the nurse tells Romeo that she sometimes tells Juliet that Paris is "the properer man" - poor Romeo appears with sad puppy-dog ears and drooping tail...

Given that this is a modern setting, I was wondering how they were going to handle the missed messages - turns out it was simple; there's a frame of Romeo checking his cell phone to see "No signal" {grin}.

Journal Entry 7 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Tuesday, December 12, 2017

This came back in my manga & graphic novel book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Friday, December 15, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (12/15/2017 UTC) at Evanston, Illinois USA

Passing this along to a co-worker whose son reads a lot of graphic novels and comics

Journal Entry 9 by wingnimrodielwing at Evanston, Illinois USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

My co-worker returned this last week saying "of all the books you gave me my son didn't read this one because he says he's read that story before."

So this will go out into the world soon to hopefully find an appreciative reader.

Journal Entry 10 by wingnimrodielwing at Little free library #44604 - Custer and Linden Place in Evanston, Illinois USA on Wednesday, February 07, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (2/7/2018 UTC) at Little free library #44604 - Custer and Linden Place in Evanston, Illinois USA

Left in the Little Free Library.