corner corner The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Gamache)

The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Gamache)
by Louise Penny | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 11/4/2016

status (set by Pooker3): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, November 04, 2016

From Sheila D.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I am not one of those who like to curl up with a cozy mystery. In fact I'm likely to say that I don't care for them at all and yet every time I do read one I end up enjoying it a lot.

This book is the fifth book in Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, most of which (I believe) are set in Three Pines, a fictional village in Quebec. While this book is the 5th in the series of at least a dozen published so far, I wasn't smart enough to start with book one and read them in order. I own six of them but have read only one until now, that being A Fatal Grace, the second in the series,which I thoroughly enjoyed even though I hadn't read the first one. I thought then that I would go back to book one and read the series in order. I had been quite charmed by Inspector Gamache and his crew and the people of Three Pines and looked forward to reading more of them.

Yeah, that was then. Mice and men and all that.

So here I am on Book 5. Didn't read book one and haven't read 3 or 4 either. So I did wonder if the book would stand on its own.

I chose this book over the others I have because of the cover blurb, "In the heart of the forest, in the dead of night, two men sit before a growling fire. A few hours later, one is dead, his secrets following him to the grave." I've sat around many campfires in the bush in my lifetime and it has always creeped me out. I always think some wild animal is going to drag me off.
However while the book opens with something of a creepy ghost story and a body shows up in short order the book is not as creepy as I anticipated. I didn't end up with nightmares.

Turns out the body is of an old hermit who'd been living in a cabin in the woods outside of Three Pines. A hermit that seemingly nobody knew in a cabin nobody knew about. A cabin filled with priceless antiques and treasures. Frankly I was more than a little skeptical there could be a cabin that no one had ever come across. Are there no adventuresome children in Three Pines? And I truly doubted that anyone could lug all that stuff into the woods without being seen. But all right.

When the body does show up it is found in the Bistro belonging to Olivier and Gabri, a delightful gay couple I remembered from the first book I'd read. However it soon becomes clear that the person was not killed in the Bistro. Somebody dumped the body there. In fact the body had also been in the old Hadley house but the murder didn't happen there either. So there's a whole lot of body dumping going on. Who was doing that and why? Where did the murder take place and who murdered the old hermit and why? Lots of mystery and a lot of clues as to who could have done the dastardly deed for Gamache and his agents to solve. It doesn't take long for the clues to point someone out but I for one didn't want that person to be the culprit and neither it seemed did Inspector Gamache. And so the investigation is painstakingly thorough. I thought a little bit too thorough at times and I have to admit that I didn't always follow Gamache's thinking process.

I did however thoroughly enjoy visiting with the residents of Three Pines again. In addition to the actual crime solving there's a lot going on with them too. So while I won't always choose to read another Gamache mystery over my usual fare I do expect I'll pick up another in the series soon.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, December 09, 2016

Released 7 mos ago (12/9/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

To the finder of this book:
I hope you enjoy your new read.

Welcome, also, to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know, return it to any Little Free Library or even release it into the wild. It is all up to you.

If you make a journal entry (you can do it anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!