corner corner Entanglement: The Secret Lives of Hair

Entanglement: The Secret Lives of Hair
by Emma Tarlo | Nonfiction
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Centreville, Virginia USA on 10/8/2016

status (set by 6of8): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, October 08, 2016

Received this ARC through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 10, 2017

The blurbs on this book try to convince you it's not all about wigs, but it's all about wigs. To be fair, it's a really interesting book about wigs. I had no idea how extensive the human hair trade was, from hair ritually shorn to wads of hair pulled from combs and painstakingly hand-separated and sorted by length. I think it's interesting how most hair comes from India, China, and parts of Southeast Asia, and yet lighter colors are so prized. In my own country, blond hair is fairly common, and yet it's hard enough to get people to take your hair as a donation, much less for sale. I look at the hair clogging up the combs of my long-haired friends and boggle at the amount of money they could make if they lived in a place the hair buyers visit. From the inner workings of the hair trade, I also learned about the end product. It's not all fashion and chemotherapy patients. There are cultural norms (especially among African-American communities), religious uses (I did not know, for example, that some Orthodox Jewish women wear wigs that look like their real hair), and even a quick stop by a hair transplant clinic. If you like biographies of things, this is worth a read.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (6/25/2017 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Taking to today's BCinDC meetup. If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelf.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 4 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, etc, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Melydia said that this book would be good for the Biographies of Things book box.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 1 wk ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is now in the Biographies of Things book box and on its way to Florida.