corner corner Four Essays: Michel de Montaigne (Penguin 60s)

Where's this book been?

Four Essays: Michel de Montaigne (Penguin 60s)
by Michel de Montaigne | Nonfiction
Registered by wingGoryDetailswing of Nashua, New Hampshire USA on 11/11/2016

status (set by GoryDetails): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Friday, November 11, 2016

I found this little softcover at the Book Cellar, and nabbed it for another release copy. (I love these tiny books, great for releasing in geocaches!)

This was a quick read but a very meaty one. Montaigne has a refreshingly modern feel, open-minded and interested and wry, and I thoroughly enjoyed these essays. I'm hesitant to quote anything, though, after reading the bit in "Art of Conversation" about people who choose excerpts from great works but select less-than-stellar examples {wry grin}. I agree that his points on debate and discussion are never more apt than during a campaign season, but alas, I fear it's too much to hope that any of the candidates will conduct themselves as Montaigne would. Still, I can try to use some of his guidance myself when I have to weigh opposing candidates' views - or if I get stuck in conversation with someone who wants to rant.

I give points to the editor who selected the entries, too; after the meatier entries, the brief entry on "thumbs" made for an amusing dessert.

I'll definitely read more Montaigne, and will try to find a nice philosophical geocache in which to release this book!

Journal Entry 2 by wingGoryDetailswing at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA on Monday, February 06, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (2/6/2017 UTC) at New Hampshire geocache (see notes for details) in -- Geocaches, New Hampshire USA

I left this book, bagged for protection, in the Fish Gotta Swim geocache in Sandown NH. Hope the finder enjoys it!

[See other recent releases in NH here.]