corner corner Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation

Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation
by Bill Nye | Science
Registered by wingKnox9thFloorwing of Alexandria, Virginia USA on 10/3/2016

status (set by FortHuntLFL): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingKnox9thFloorwing from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, October 03, 2016

Left anonymously on the Book Exchange shelf.

Journal Entry 2 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, October 03, 2016

I read, and thoroughly enjoyed, Nye's book on climate change last year, so when this showed up on the book exchange shelf at work, I knew I would have to read this one as well.

Journal Entry 3 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Bill Nye has embraced the role of science ambassador to the masses, explaining science to those who struggle to understand it, sharing his sense of wonder at the amazing universe that science reveals to us. This book explores evolution and what science tells us about how life came to be and where it might be headed. Nye does a good job of explaining the basic principles of evolution, and does his best to show why this knowledge is important to understand.

According to Nye, this book was inspired by his debate with creationist Ken Ham. Listening to the creationist arguments convinced Nye that we need to do a better job explaining the importance of the science and its role in our lives. And the resulting book makes a heroic effort at doing just that. While it is unlikely to change the minds of true believers in creationism, it should help those who find the science complicated and difficult to understand.

For those who find science fascinating, but appreciate having it explained in terms that are easy to understand, Nye’s books, including this one, should be on their reading list.

Journal Entry 4 by ResQgeek at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, December 10, 2016

Released 10 mos ago (12/11/2016 UTC) at Alexandria, Virginia USA

I'm bringing this to the BCinDC holiday party to pass along to someone else.

Journal Entry 5 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 11, 2016

Picked this up at the BCinDC holiday party. Looks good.

Journal Entry 6 by wingmelydiawing at Centreville, Virginia USA on Friday, June 30, 2017

After his much-hyped debate with Ken Hamm over evolution, Bill Nye decided he had more to say on the subject. It manages to be pretty light-hearted while covering a wide range of topics related to evolutionary biology. I don't know that this book would convince a die-hard creationist, but I'm also not sure it's meant to. I appreciate its additions to my understanding of how life works on this planet, and opened my eyes to a large number of discoveries I wasn't aware of. More importantly, Nye offers numerous examples of why it's important to ask these questions and understand the answers. And that's where this book works best: as a jumping off point to learn more.

Journal Entry 7 by wingmelydiawing at Potbelly Sandwiches (Crystal City) in Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 15, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (7/15/2017 UTC) at Potbelly Sandwiches (Crystal City) in Arlington, Virginia USA

Bringing to today's BCinDC meetup. I hope it doesn't come home with me!

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 8 by ixion at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, July 15, 2017

Picked up at July meetup in Crystal City. I love Bill Nye, watched him in school. Although the eye brows make him look a bit like a bad 50's TV villain. I also like books about science and scientific literacy, which seems to be the genre here.

Journal Entry 9 by FortHuntLFL at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Placing inside the Little Free Library in the Fort Hunt area.