corner corner The Dead Cat Bounce: A Home Repair is Homicide Mystery

The Dead Cat Bounce: A Home Repair is Homicide Mystery
by Sarah Graves | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 10/31/2016

status (set by epiann): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, October 31, 2016

Though I love mysteries (and cats), I started this one with some trepidation due to the title - until I learned that it's a stock market expression. Phew!

This first-in-series was quite enjoyable; as my house is nearly falling down it was reassuring to read about Jacobia's house, still in need of much repair. I guess it never ends for any homeowner. Anyway, I also enjoy books set in winter in very cold, somewhat remote places, because, even as a New Englander, I can't imagine being any further north or isolated than my current situation.

Characters were interesting and varied, and the plot kept me guessing until the end.

Amazon:
dead cat bounce n. Stock market jargon for a small, temporary rise in a stock's trading price after a sharp drop.

Since she bought her rambling old fixer-upper of a house, Jacobia Tiptree has gotten used to finding things broken. But her latest problem isn't so easily repaired. Along with the rotting floor joists and sagging support beams, there's the little matter of the dead man in Jake's storeroom, an ice pick firmly planted in his cranium.

Not much happens in her tiny Maine town, but that's about to change. Jake's unknown guest turns out to be a world-famous corporate raider, local boy turned billionaire Threnody McIlwaine. When Jake's best friend, quiet and dependable Ellie White, readily confesses to the murder, cops and journalists swarm into snowbound Eastport.

Jake smells a cover-up, and begins poking into past history between McIlwaine and Ellie's family. But someone doesn't like nosy neighbors...and Jake's rustic refuge may become her final resting place.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, 111 South Rd. in Bedford, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, November 01, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (10/31/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library, 111 South Rd. in Bedford, Massachusetts USA

Left at about 6PM. Hope someone will enjoy it!

Released for Leap Into the Wild Challenge hosted by AlterEgoZoe.
Released for 2016 Spook-tacular Halloween Challenge hosted by solittletime.
Released for 2016 Tick Tock Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by epiann at Bedford, Massachusetts USA on Friday, August 18, 2017

I've read a chapter or 2 so far, and I am enjoying the characters. I know Northern Maine, so it's fun to see it come to life under the author's pen. The book seems to have been autographed by the author. I picked it up in a Little Free Library in Bedford in July 2017 while getting ready to start a day of hiking on the Minuteman trail because I wasn't sure if my hiking partner was going to be way more mighty than I am, and wanted something to read if I ended up having to wait somewhere while mightier people finished the hike. This is my first experience with book crossing--i will release it back into the wild when I find a good Little Free Library near me in Boston!