corner corner Frankenstein

Frankenstein
by Mary Shelley | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 9/26/2016

status (set by ResQgeek): available

Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, September 26, 2016

This is one of 60 books donated on 09/25/16 to the Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) by my friend from New Boston, New Hampshire. Thank you so much for your generosity!

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, October 17, 2017

I am reading this book now because I started reading a children's version of Frankenstein this morning to my four-year-old grandson. I thought it would. E nice to familiarize myself with the classic version of Frankenstein since I never read it. Those who have read it, including my daughter, have given it rave reviews.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017

It's taken me 70 years to read this classic. Ironically enough, I started reading it because I was reading a children's version of this book to my four-year-old grandson, and I did not want his book to put spoilers into my own classic story which I started reading simultaneously.

Wow! What a novel! I never knew the "real" story of Frankenstein, nor did I know that Frankenstein was the name of the doctor who created the monster rather than the monster himself.

This novel was written in 1818 by a nineteen-year-old. Another "Wow!" needs to be inserted here. The story is magnificently written. I never much in the past liked to read nineteenth-century novels, but I did learn to appreciate them more with tutored reads of selected older novels provided so kindly to me by a member of LibraryThing. What I learned to do with those novels was to take notes on the story, the characters, and keep a running vocabulary. This bailed me out quite a few times during the reading of this novel as I simply cannot keep all this information in my head.

What I found exceptional in this novel was the dense storyline which in some places was truly beautiful despite the grim nature of the story. This was a book about friendship (or the lack thereof) and of courage (in many different forms).

I especially liked this quote from late in the story:

“Even where the affections are not strongly moved by any superior excellence, the companions of our childhood always possess a certain power over our minds which hardly any later friend can obtain.”

Although people associate Frankenstein with horror, I will only now associate that word and the novel with sadness. It is a sad world in which we live in where some of us judge others by appearance rather than by inner motive. This novel only serves to accentuate that kind of sadness (and wrongness) and puts the face of a monster we call "Frankenstein" to that kind of sentiment.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA on Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Released 8 mos ago (12/3/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library of Twinbrook (#7720) - 5811 Vandegrift Avenue in Rockville, Maryland USA

I'm releasing this book for the following BookCrossing challenge:

***The 2017 What's in a Name Release Challenge hosted by DragonGoddess . The title of this book contains the names FRANK and KEN.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 5 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, December 16, 2017

Journal Entry 6 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/20/2018 UTC) at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland USA

This book is being released at Panera Bread at 219 E. Middle Lane in Rockville, Maryland, during a BCinDC BookCrossing meetup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello and welcome to BookCrossing ... where we make the whole world a library!

Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingResQgeekwing at Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, January 21, 2018

From today's BC-in-DC meeting, to be released. A quick search shows that this book has been banned, so I'm setting it aside to release during Banned Books Week.