corner corner Fatal Distraction

Fatal Distraction
by Sonja Ahlers |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 8/29/2016

status (set by Pooker3): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, August 29, 2016

I'm often intrigued by the books published by Insomniac Press. They are unusual and sometimes very special. This one is both. I found it in Little Free Library #2873. I've spent many hours of the last couple of days reading forward and backward and randomly. I expect I could continue to do so for years and not see everything there is to see. Thank you kind donor for this most curious contribution to the LFL.

Edited to add:
On registering this book on BookCrossing I noticed that there is only one other copy registered. The BookCrosser who registered it also registered a book on the dissection of rabbits. That freaks me out.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Despite having enjoyed comic books as a child, I have a surprisingly difficult time reading graphic novels as an adult. Well, not the reading part; I can read text just fine. It's seeing and understanding everything that is happening. Because, of course, with graphic novels you can't just read the text from left to right and turn the page, you have to actually look at the pictures and establish the timing of the text and intuit all kinds of things that are going on from the artwork as well as the text.

I don't know if I would call Fatal Distraction a graphic novel, but I did have a difficult time reading it. And, I don't mean difficult in a bad sense really. This was truly a fascinating book to experience. Except for the fact that the author invites the reader to "read in a random way or front to back", which I did front to back and back to front and willy nilly all over the place, the book struck me as something of a graphic diary with each page being, possibly, the thoughts of the author as she sat down to do her daily entry.

The pages are chock full of drawings, sketches, doodles, artwork of the author and others (whom she credits in her acknowledgments). Text is by way of quotes and poems in typewriting, script and printing; in bold, in italics, underlined and struck through, large and eensy-weensy, side-wise, up right and up-side down.

Some of what the author says, especially her word play, makes me laugh out loud. Such as the sketch of the rabbit, one paw raised and toes forming a "V", labelled "HAIR PEACE".

Some pages, in particular those clearly dealing with the aftermath of a bad-relationship, have me wanting to counsel her, "You're better off without that asshole" and at times ("Is suicide genetic?") I want to call her up and ask, are you okay. But the book was published in 2004 and contains five years worth of her work, so I have to assume Ahlers is okay. And, if not, somebody probably already called.

And some pages, well,... What does that mean?

Although organized, for the most part, according to theme,there is not, that I could tell, a beginning or an end to this book. I think I could spend a life time in there marveling at/admiring/scratching my head about its contents.

A different sort of book for me, but wildly fun and creative. I'm glad to have spent time with it.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Released 12 mos ago (9/27/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

To the finder of this book:
I hope you enjoy your new read.

Welcome, also, to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know, return it to any Little Free Library or even release it into the wild. It is all up to you.

If you make a journal entry (you can do it anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!