corner corner The Robber Bridegroom

The Robber Bridegroom
by Eudora Welty | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on 8/12/2016

status (set by iwillrejoice): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, August 12, 2016

This is a difficult book for me to rate. I very much enjoyed the language and the writing style. The story itself is not politically correct in its descriptions of women and minorities, especially Native Americans. However, as it was written in 1942, I guess that is to be expected.

Also, the book is an adaptation of the Grimm fairy tale of the same name, and that is how it reads. As such, some of the ordinary "rules" of fiction are broken. For example, it would be hard to identify a main character or protagonist. I suppose Rosamond, the daughter of planter Clement Musgrove, would be the closest to a protagonist.

Overall, I would describe this short read (I read it in two evenings) as enjoyable, but somewhat dated.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, November 04, 2016

Reserving for the General Literature VBB.

Description from Amazon:

"Legendary figures of Mississippi’s past -- flatboatman Mike Fink and the dreaded Harp brothers -- mingle with characters from Eudora Welty’s own imagination in an exuberant fantasy set along the Natchez Trace. Berry-stained bandit of the woods Jamie Lockhart steals Rosamond, the beautiful daughter of pioneer planter Clement Musgrove, to set in motion this frontier fairy tale. 'For all her wild, rich fancy, Welty writes prose that is as disciplined as it is beautiful' (New Yorker)."

Journal Entry 3 by wingReallyBookishwing at Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, July 16, 2017

Removing as unselected from the General Literature VBB and making available.

Journal Entry 4 by wingReallyBookishwing at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 31, 2017

Released 4 mos ago (7/31/2017 UTC) at RABCK, --by post or by hand (ie ring, ray, RABCK, trade) -- Controlled Releases

This is headed out to Megi53 as a RABCK. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Friday, August 04, 2017

Being compared to Candide in a cover blurb from The New Yorker, it's bound to be good.

Thanks very much for sending it so fast, Really Bookish!

Journal Entry 6 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 03, 2017

This was a pleasure to read on my long vacation in Georgia. I especially liked the characters' sojourn with the Indians, and the frequent trips some of them took to the city of New Orleans.

Thanks again for sending it to me so quickly! I'll put it in one of our two local Little Free Libraries at the earliest opportunity.

Journal Entry 7 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, September 18, 2017

The area around both our Little Free Libraries (yes, they're just around the block from each other) is under construction, so I searched wishlists, saw a familiar name, and mailed it to her today!

Journal Entry 8 by Megi53 at Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, September 18, 2017

Released 3 mos ago (9/18/2017 UTC) at Danville, Virginia USA

Mailed to another Bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 9 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, November 04, 2017

Just arrived home from an extended trip last night, & found this in my collected mail this morning. Thank you! I look forward to reading it!