corner corner Vinegar Girl: A Novel (Hogarth Shakespeare)

Vinegar Girl: A Novel (Hogarth Shakespeare)
by Anne Tyler | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingReallyBookishwing of Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on 7/30/2016

status (set by mojosmom): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingReallyBookishwing from Horsham, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, July 30, 2016

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. In it, Tyler transposes Shakespeare's "The Taming of the Shrew" to modern-day Baltimore. The story is told simply and sparely, and Tyler crafts quirky, believable characters. There are quite a few humorous moments along the way -- enough that I laughed out loud at times.

My one niggle is that the whole book strikes pretty much the same note. There isn't much in the way of nuance, layering of textures, or any sub-plots to speak of. For that reason, it reads almost more like a novel-length short story, rather than a fully fleshed-out novel. This is a minor quibble, however, and I feel confident that many readers will enjoy this book.

Journal Entry 2 by wingReallyBookishwing at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 31, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/1/2016 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book is headed out to mojosmom. I though she might enjoy it, since she was kind enough to share The Gap of Time with me, which is from the same Hogarth Shakespeare series.

Journal Entry 3 by mojosmom at Chicago, Illinois USA on Saturday, August 06, 2016

I'm looking forward to reading this book. Since ReallyBookish offered it to me, I've seen a lot of favorable comment about it.

Thanks, RB!