corner corner Chocolate Cake with Hitler

Chocolate Cake with Hitler
by Emma Craigie | History
Registered by wingkinediwing of Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on 7/4/2016

status (set by LittleSuz): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingkinediwing from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Monday, July 04, 2016

Helga's childhood as the eldest of five children in Germany's First Family has been a gilded one, accompanying her parents to parties and rallies, moving between the city and their idyllic country estate. But the war has changed everything. And now, as defeat closes in on the Germans, Helga must move into a bunker in the heart of Berlin with her family and key members of the crumbling Nazi leadership - to be with their beloved Hitler. There is chocolate cake for tea every day with Uncle Leader, but Helga cannot help noticing that all is not well among the grown-ups. As each day passes, her underground world becomes increasingly tense and strange. There are tears and shouting behind slammed doors, and when even the soldiers who have been guarding them take their leave, Helga is faced with a terrible truth. Perhaps her perfect childhood has not been all that it seemed

Journal Entry 2 by wingkinediwing at Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Quite chilling and mesmerizing read ! The author mentions she drew a lot of inspiration from the film ''Downfall'' which in my opinion is one of best German films ever made about Hitler's Downfall. The lead actor Bruno Ganz got a lot critism at the time for portraying Hitler as a human being and in this book, Helga very much so describes ''Uncle Leader'' as a human being who farts when he sits down on the sofa and how he likes to eat 3 slices of chocolate cake at once. Perhaps that makes the whole story even more chilling and sad because sadly we all know what was going to happen to the Goebbels kids and how Helga perhaps as the oldest had an inkling too. I found this book quite emotional but I am glad it had been written and should be read by a lot of people !

Journal Entry 3 by wingkinediwing at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (3/18/2018 UTC) at Filmhouse Cinema in Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

Welcome to Bookcrossing.

Thank you for catching this book! I hope that you enjoy it and will consider exploring this site and possibly joining. It is free and loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world!

Please feel free to keep this book for as long as you wish, and whenever you're ready, pass it on. Then watch its journey - you'll be alerted by email each time someone makes a new journal entry. It's all confidential, free and fun (and addictive - but in a GOOD way)!

You may remain anonymous, but if you choose to join the site, I hope that you will consider using me, kinedi, as the one who referred you.

Congratulations on finding a Bookcrossing book and Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingLittleSuzwing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, March 18, 2018

Picked up at meetup, thanks