corner corner Memoirs of a Geisha Uk

Memoirs of a Geisha Uk
by ARTHUR GOLDEN | Literature & Fiction
Registered by skribble of London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 03, 2004

status (set by kbudgie): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by skribble from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 03, 2004

I couldn't put it down while I was reading it. Good fun!

Journal Entry 2 by skribble at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 29, 2004

Released on Friday, October 29, 2004 at about 11:00:00 PM BX time (GMT-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) at Postal Release in Postal release, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

Released as part of a trade with sobergirl

Journal Entry 3 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, November 08, 2004

Thanks for the book trade Skribble!

Arthur Golden

Journal Entry 4 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Monday, November 22, 2004

A fascinating story.
I enjoyed it a lot.
Thank you skribble for trading!

Journal Entry 5 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Friday, January 14, 2005

I will bookring this in Europe.
If you want to join, please PM your location to me and I will set up the bookring list. Economy mail more than ok!

Ring Rules:

1. Please journal the book to say you have received it.
2. PM the next person on the list for their address.
3. Read the book within one month (or PM me if you need longer)
4. Post to next person on list. Economy/Surface mail more than fine!

Any problems, please PM me.

Bookring list:

8. Thy Finland
9. sirah Finland
10. Ritao Finland
11. kbudgie Malta BOOK IS HERE NOW

Journal Entry 6 by wingsyrinwing from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, January 21, 2005

Got it in the mail today. Thanks for starting this ring, Sobergirl.
I'll put it on top of my TBR list.

Journal Entry 7 by wingsyrinwing from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Friday, February 04, 2005

Wow, what can I say about this book...
I wish I hadn't put it down. But unfortunatly real life has a tendency to get in the way, even when we enter another dimension. And that's what happened to me while I was reading this book. It transported me to Kyoto, to Chiyo's okiya, to her struggles, to her dreams.

This is a wonderful tale of hopes and dreams that come true. And all I can do is thank you, Sobergirl, for giving me the opportunity to meet Chiyo.

11.02.05 - Mailed to Icila today. Sorry for the delay, hope you like it!

Journal Entry 8 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I got it yesterday from Coimbra where I was on the last april :) . I put it at the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 9 by wingIcilawing from Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I just finished this book. I enjoyed it a lot. Many years ago I've read "Geisha" from Liza Dalby who is the only american woman becoming a geisha.
The author did a great work to describe the day to day life in Gion, the part of Kyoto devoted to the geishas. We have a better knowing of the japanese way of life and thinking.
Thanks for the ring.
Please excuse my being late.
I send the book to decay.

Journal Entry 10 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The book was today in the mail, I have other rings to complete before this one. I'll do my best.
Thanks Icila.

Journal Entry 11 by decay from Lyon, Rhône-Alpes France on Tuesday, May 03, 2005

I had absolutely no idea of what being a geisha meant. I've learned a good deal about geishas throughout this book. Great research work. A good story also.
Sent to RonOren today, enjoy.

Journal Entry 12 by RonOren from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 19, 2005

It just arrived, with perfect timing as I'm nearing the last page of the ring-book I'm reading right now ;-). I'll start soon and will write some more later...

Thanks for the card, Decay. I might want to go visit Lyon once, now that's I've seen it ;-)

Journal Entry 13 by RonOren from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2005

It certainly wasn't what I expected! I thought it would be more like a documentary, the life of geisha's in general. I never expected it to be the life of one specific geisha, let alone to contain all the twists and turns that her story had. It was a very pleasant surprise, though, as I could hardly put the book down.

It is definitely well written. I loved the way Hatsumomo was put down. There's really nothing you can do but loath the very sight of her (metaphorically speaking, that is ;-)The description of Mother was pretty good too; it's not the sort of woman I'd like to do any business with...

Still, the best thing was the translator's note at the beginning. It actually got me doubting for a moment if the book was fictional or not ;-). Very nice detail!

I'm really glad I finally got to try this book. Thanks for sharing, Sobergirl! As I have Aava's address already, I'll probably manage to send it off this afternoon.

Journal Entry 14 by RonOren from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 26, 2005

It's on its way to Aava. Hope you'll like it!

Journal Entry 15 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Sunday, June 05, 2005

The book ccame last week, forgot to make an entry. I´ve already started the book and it´s wonderful! Thanks.

Journal Entry 16 by aava from Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi Finland on Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The story was wonderfull, it was beautifully written and full of details that made it so vivid that at times I forgot that I was reading fiction. It was really fascinating to read about the history, culture and society of Japan.

Journal Entry 17 by wingmynttiwing from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Got this book from aava at Tampere meet-up today. Thanks!

***
This was "okay", I guess.
The whole thing with the chairman was a bit too unbelievable.

Journal Entry 18 by chirel from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, November 25, 2005

I got this at our meeting. I hope Thy doesn't mind if it takes a while for me to read this book. I have a huge pile of library books to be read.

Journal Entry 19 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Thursday, December 22, 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha movie

Journal Entry 20 by chirel from Tampere, Pirkanmaa Finland on Friday, January 20, 2006

Sorry for the delay. I never got to read this book, but now it's on its way to Thy.

Journal Entry 21 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Thursday, January 26, 2006

The book arrived today, thanks. I'm looking forward to read it soon.

Journal Entry 22 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, February 24, 2006

Finally finished the book, it was very well written and a beautiful story. And then it was also confusing when it was so vivid and so full of details about geisha's life in Gion in 1930's - 1940's and then you know it's fiction and written by an American man...

Mailed to Sirah on 23.02.06

Journal Entry 23 by Sirah from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Friday, February 24, 2006

Received today. Really looking forward reading it!

Edit: It looks like I eventually forgot to make a journal entry of this great read...

Well, I found the book really fascinating and touching. I had seen the movie just before I received the book, but it didn´t spoil my reading experience, even though there was certain differences in the end compaired to the one of the movie.

Want to get one copy for my PC.

Journal Entry 24 by ritao from Helsinki, Uusimaa Finland on Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Got it today from Sirah, thanks a lot! I'm really interested in the book because of the movie that's based on it. I'll try really hard to read it in time, but I'm afraid I'll keep it overtime...We'll see.

27.4.2006

I'm sorry that I held the book a little bit longer than I was supposed to, I hope it doesn't cause anyone too much trouble. Nevertheless, I've read the book now and will send it to the next reader as soon as I get the address.
At first the story seemed a bit slow and uninteresting to me but gradually it became more and more "alive" towards the end. For some reason I was a bit uncomfortable with the fact that the book "pretends" to be something that it isn't, an authentic biography. But, in the end, Memoirs of a Geisha is a very interesting peek to a foreign culture that is a great deal different from today's Western world. I'm definitely interested in seeing the movie at some point but will not rush to see it in the teather right now. Thank you for the ring!

Journal Entry 25 by kbudgie on Friday, May 05, 2006

Yay Geisha is here!!! I have seen the film so I sort of know what to expect but I always love to find more in the book.....

I have another couple of rings that arrived first so I will be as quick as I can

Journal Entry 26 by Sobergirl from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi Finland on Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Looks like this copy is stalled.
I now have a new copy of the book to continue the bookring.
Follow its adventures here

Journal Entry 27 by kbudgie on Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I really want to get time to read this so I hope you don't mind once I do I will try and send it on to someone on the list.

Sorry for the delay