corner corner Circle of Stones

Circle of Stones
by Suzanne Alyssa Andrew | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 6/25/2016

status (set by Pooker3): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 25, 2016

From the Grace Hospital used book sale.

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, October 16, 2016

Nik and Jennifer are young lovers. He is an artist; she a dancer. Both are talented; and seemingly devoted to each other. Nik would do anything to feel her skin against his. His art is her. An ear, an eye, an ankle. But one day Jennifer just disappears and Nik is unmoored.

Lost without her, Nik searches for her, traveling across the country to places she may have gone. While Nik's obsessive search for Jennifer forms the back drop for this novel, only four of the dozen or so chapters are devoted to them. The other chapters take place wholly in the lives of other people, people with whom they are somehow connected, or have met along the way. Nik's roommate gets a chapter, as does his grandmother. But so do virtual strangers. A filmmaker is drawn to Jennifer when he meets her waitressing and wants to film her. A teenager chances upon both of them; Nik homeless on the street and Jennifer in a nightclub. There are connections between these various other people too to discover but each of the chapters is that person's own story, a snapshot of his or her life at the time.

Most of these other stories were as interesting if not more so than Nik and Jennifer's and when I figured out that I would be unlikely to read about Nik's grandmother again I was more than a little disappointed. If I were teaching a creative writing class ( imagination is a wonderful thing) I'd have my students select one of these other people and have them continue their story.

That each of these other characters were so fully formed and their circumstances so interesting in the space of one chapter is truly remarkable. The trouble I suspect will be that because I only lived with them for such a brief period, they and the book as a whole will quickly fade in my memory. It will end up being one of those books on my shelf that I'll remember liking but won't remember exactly why.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 08, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (4/8/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library #2873 in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

To the finder of this book:
I hope you enjoy your new read.

Welcome, also, to the wonderful and wacky world of BookCrossing! Here you'll find a unique and worldwide community of book lovers sharing their books. This book is now yours! Read it, enjoy it. Keep it or pass it on to someone you know, return it to any Little Free Library or even release it into the wild. It is all up to you.

If you make a journal entry (you can do it anonymously or as a BookCrossing member) all previous readers of this book will be notified by e-mail and can follow this book on its travels. BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your email address) and it's a whole lot of fun!