corner corner Baseball in April and Other Stories

Baseball in April and Other Stories
by Gary Soto | Children's Books
Registered by HI77 of Fort Myers, Florida USA on 6/20/2016

status (set by yoshi-toast): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by HI77 from Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, June 20, 2016

The kids are flying high,

in the bright blue skies
of their dreams.

Journal Entry 2 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (7/26/2016 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This book has slid into uniform before joining the Tag Game! :)

How weird! This is just one of those random books that I had hanging around my apartment. I can't even remember where it came from but I was so surprised to see it on your wishlist! How lucky! :)

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, August 01, 2016

Thank you for the wishlist book! Flicking through, it looks like it will be a very interesting collection.

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Friday, January 20, 2017

This short story collection was a good, quick read. It is obviously targeted at a middle-school-aged audience, but avoids the sense of talking down to the reader that shows up in many of these stories. The writing is straightforward but not simplified-feeling. There's a fair amount of humor, and the pacing is typically quick. Soto creates an interesting group of kids, each with widely varied personalities and responses to their world. I sometimes wished the stories were a little longer and that we got to see more of a certain characters, but I think the lengths are very well suited to the target age group.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at Little Free Library #47780 in Ithaca, New York USA on Thursday, October 19, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/19/2017 UTC) at Little Free Library #47780 in Ithaca, New York USA

Added to the LFL

Journal Entry 6 by yoshi-toast at Ithaca, New York USA on Tuesday, October 24, 2017

To read.