corner corner Henry's Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, a Father and Son's Story

Henry's Demons: Living with Schizophrenia, a Father and Son's Story
by Patrick Cockburn, Henry Cockburn | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by wingardachywing of Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on 6/17/2016

status (set by Mary-T): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingardachywing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2016

Given to me for bookcrossing.

Journal Entry 2 by wingardachywing at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Friday, September 02, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (9/3/2016 UTC) at Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Posting to makke in Estonia as part of her prize in my 9,000 books RABCK draw.

Journal Entry 3 by makke at Tartu, Tartumaa Estonia on Thursday, September 15, 2016

Safely arrived, thank you so much!

Journal Entry 4 by makke at Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Saturday, January 28, 2017

A truly remarkable book, indeed, thank you for letting me read this. Both the father and the son have shown remarkable courage by writing this book despite it, how hard it must have been and despite the stigma mental illnesses unfortunately still have. The honest way of writing is heart-rending, all the feelings, moments of despair and mistakes made described so openly and thus humanly. I'm still somehow too confused about all the feelings caused by the book, can't put them into words yet. On the factual side I learnt that I hadn't realized before, how unclear the border between schizophrenia and bipolar disorder is.

I think I will bring this to a meet-up, probably some day in Turku, Finland.

Edit: Will travel to Germany as a RABCK.

Journal Entry 5 by makke at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 18, 2018

Released 4 wks ago (6/18/2018 UTC) at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I read this for a second time before releasing. This indeed gives a very good understanding about schizophrenia but after my own experiences in a mental hospital (throughout positive, I have to say) the view is very different and deeper.

I could recommend the book to everyone but let it continue its journey to the next bookcrosser, to whom I have promised it.

Journal Entry 6 by Mary-T at Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, June 23, 2018

Henry's demons arrived safe and sound in very good companion of Pippa Longstocking and Emil as well as the mumins. :o)

My little son and myself were very fond of the thick parcel in our mail yesterday! Thanks for making us happy makke!

I'm very interested in Henry's demons and am looking forward to reading it... sometime after our move next month...