corner corner South of Superior

South of Superior
by Ellen Airgood | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingstarrdustwing of Cookstown, Ontario Canada on 6/12/2016

status (set by jlautner): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Sunday, June 12, 2016

From the back cover:"On the southern edge of Lake Superior in Michigan's Upper Peninsula lies McAllaster, a beautiful, hardscrabble town that, despite isolation and wilderness, has a magic that captures a certain kind of person and never lets go. Into this town comes Madeline Stone, who is more running away from her old life than she is consciously running toward anything. But when she arrives to care for an aging family friend, she finds herself pulled into the world of this town, and her own life is changed forever. By opening herself up to McAllaster and to the lives and intimate dramas of its residents, Madeline finds things she never thought she'd have - - a sense of family, a feeling of belonging, and a discovery of life, love, and goodwill that will forever change her."

Journal Entry 2 by wingstarrdustwing at Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Monday, June 20, 2016

What a joy it was to read this book! The characters come to life as each page is turned and I especially connected with Madeline who struggled to find her true self and the family that she didn't have growing up. I also felt very connected to 5-year-old Greyson, a little boy who was wise beyond his years and filled the lives of others with joy.

This was a new author for me and I look forward to reading other books that Ellen Airgood has written.

EDITED to add: I forgot to journal that this book was passed on to my sister, Maranlin, for her to read on June 25, 2016. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 29, 2016

This book has been passed on to me by my sister, starrdust. It looks interesting and I look forward to reading it. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 4 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 17, 2017

This book had a very diverse cast of characters and I have to say I enjoyed all of them. The main character, Madeline, was very inspiring and I admired the risks she took in reaching her goals which included finding out more about her birth family. A very good read, and so well done as a first novel for this author.

Journal Entry 5 by wingMaranlinwing at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, January 18, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (1/18/2018 UTC) at Burlington, Ontario Canada

Mailed today to jlautner as her choice from the General Literature VBB. I hope you enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingjlautnerwing at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, January 25, 2018

Arrived today!Thank you! Having grown up south of Superior I hope to enjoy this account, and even if I don't I will share the book with others who live or visit the UP.