corner corner My Name is Lucy Barton

My Name is Lucy Barton
by Elizabeth Strout | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 6/11/2016

status (set by Annimanni): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, June 11, 2016

From the author's website:

"A new book by Pulitzer Prize winner Elizabeth Strout is cause for celebration. Her bestselling novels, including Olive Kitteridge and The Burgess Boys, have illuminated our most tender relationships. Now, in My Name Is Lucy Barton, this extraordinary writer shows how a simple hospital visit becomes a portal to the most tender relationship of all — the one between mother and daughter.

Lucy Barton is recovering slowly from what should have been a simple operation. Her mother, to whom she hasn’t spoken for many years, comes to see her. Gentle gossip about people from Lucy’s childhood in Amgash, Illinois, seems to reconnect them, but just below the surface lie the tension and longing that have informed every aspect of Lucy’s life: her escape from her troubled family, her desire to become a writer, her marriage, her love for her two daughters. Knitting this powerful narrative together is the brilliant storytelling voice of Lucy herself: keenly observant, deeply human, and truly unforgettable."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, June 11, 2016

What an absolutely, extraordinarily beautiful book. This is the first one I've read by Strout but definitely not the last. The skill with which she captures loneliness, the love you feel for your parents no matter what, human emotion in general, is exquisite. This is a quiet yet powerful story that will stay with me for a long time. A true gem

Here are a couple of reviews for those that are interested:

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 07, 2016

I've offered this as a ring. Here are the participants:

* ruzena
* Mecu
* aava
* erpax
* back to me

Journal Entry 4 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2016

The book arrived. Thank you, Annimanni!

Journal Entry 5 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Wonderful. Lovely, beautiful. Words fail me. Give me more books like this.

Thanks again, Annimanni.

Mecun osoite kysytty tänään.

Journal Entry 6 by ruzena at Mäntyharju, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland on Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Released 9 mos ago (8/19/2016 UTC) at Mäntyharju, Etelä-Savo / Södra Savolax Finland

Osoite vihdoin tuli, ja kirja meni.

Journal Entry 7 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Monday, August 29, 2016

The book has arrived in Hämeenlinna.

Journal Entry 8 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Monday, November 28, 2016

What a novel, so full of life and little observations of human lives! I can't think of anything more to say... This quote from the book covers it all: "All life amazes me.".

Journal Entry 9 by Mecu at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland on Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Released 5 mos ago (12/7/2016 UTC) at Hämeenlinna, Kanta-Häme / Egentliga Tavastland Finland

Finally this book is ready to move on to the next reader in the book ring. I'm so sorry for the delay! But I promise, this is worth waiting for.

Journal Entry 10 by aava at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Monday, December 12, 2016

Lucy has arrived.

Journal Entry 11 by aava at Jyväskylä, Keski-Suomi / Mellersta Finland Finland on Sunday, January 08, 2017

This is a beautifully written book, wonderfully clear. Shimmering with love in all those murky places between parents and children. While reading I kept on seeing my own mother, in a hospital bed on a clear and cold spring evening and every now and then I would feel her presence.

I know this book has been on many best books lists of 2016 so it was a wonderful way to start this year by reading it. Thanks Annimanni for sharing. The book will travel to erpax soonish.

edit 18.1.2017: On its way. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 12 by wingerpaxwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Thanks for sending, aava! Looking forward to reading this.

Journal Entry 13 by wingerpaxwing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 04, 2017

Wow! I really enjoyed reading this book. There's so much left unsaid in it. I think the cover is stylish too. Many thanks for sharing, Annimanni!

Helmet-lukuhaaste

Journal Entry 14 by wingerpaxwing at a book ring, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, April 14, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (4/14/2017 UTC) at a book ring, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Kiitos, Annimanni! Emme ole osuneet samoihin miitteihin, mutta tänään liikuskelen niillä suunnilla ja jätän jossain vaiheessa Lucyn postilaatikkoosi.

Journal Entry 15 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, April 15, 2017

Lucy Barton is back home.

Kiitos, erpax. Kirja löysi turvallisesti kotiin :) En tosiaan ole ehtinyt miitteihin pitkään aikaa, toivottavasti pian taas!