corner corner The Heaven Tree Trilogy:The Heaven Tree, the Green Branch, the Scarlet Seed (pc)

by Edith Pargeter | Literature & Fiction
Registered by tho on 3/2/2004

status (set by tho): permanent collection

Journal Entry 1 by tho on Tuesday, March 02, 2004

One of my all-time favorite historical novels (and I've read a lot of them :-)

From Booklist
Best known for her Brother Cadfael mysteries (written under the pen name Ellis Peters), Pargeter has also written historical fiction, including the three novels--The Heaven Tree (1960), The Green Branch (1962), and The Scarlet Seed (1963)--that make up the Heaven Tree trilogy. The first two books in the trilogy are long out of print, and the third has never been released in the U.S., making the appearance of this omnibus edition a significant event for the author's many fans. Combining historically accurate facts with fiction, Pargeter traces the life of a thirteenth-century British family of master artisans, the Talvaces, whose passion is stone carving. Harry Talvace is apprenticed to a wealthy benefactor, Lord Isambard, whose dream is to build a majestic cathedral. Harry uses his skills to design and build the church but becomes embroiled in the passions, ruthlessness, and power struggles of the Isambards. Harry is eventually murdered, and his young son, also a stone carver, returns to war-torn Wales to avenge his father's death. Pargeter has created a masterful story with carefully researched and authentic characters, customs, and events. Her charismatic writing and near-magical storytelling skill transport her readers across the centuries to medieval Britain and keep them engaged for the more than 900 pages of this magnificent chronicle. Although the trilogy's length is daunting, readers who persevere will be well rewarded. Emily Melton

Journal Entry 2 by BlossomU on Thursday, June 02, 2005

Estava mesmo a precisar de mais livros, em especial algo curto e leve como este livro ;) Mas não consegui resistir, tinha ouvido tanto destes livros, estou curiosa. Posso demorar um pouco, ok muito, a finalmente ler esta serie, obrigada Tho!

Journal Entry 3 by BlossomU on Thursday, October 19, 2006

I liked the first book very much, reminded me of Guy Gavriel Kay more than anything. The sequels I could not quite get into. Returned to its owner a while ago, thank you T

Journal Entry 4 by tho on Thursday, October 19, 2006

Back with me, thanks for the reminder T. :)