corner corner Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat

Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat
by Bee Wilson | History
Registered by Derwoodsman of Derwood, Maryland USA on 5/2/2016

status (set by Azuki): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Derwoodsman from Derwood, Maryland USA on Monday, May 02, 2016

Bee Wilson writes a fascinating "...History of How We Cook and Eat." This will be an entertaining read for anyone who uses a kitchen, but has never thought about how and why we prepare foods the way we do.

My daughter gave me this advance uncorrected proof copy. It's soft cover, but the cover artwork looks the same as the final publication.

Journal Entry 2 by Derwoodsman at Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 24, 2017

Released 10 mos ago (9/24/2017 UTC) at Rockville, Maryland USA

Released at the DC Metro Bookcrossers' meet-up at Noodles and Company, Congressional Plaza, Rockville, MD.

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqnutZipswing at Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, September 25, 2017

Picked from pile of books brought to the BCinDC monthly meet-up today.

Journal Entry 4 by wingSqnutZipswing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, February 02, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/2/2018 UTC) at Silver Spring, Maryland USA

I am releasing this book to the "Biographies of Things Book Box" a RABACK started by BC'er "MaryZ" and is now curated by "6of8" in memory of "MaryZ".

To the person who finds this book.....
Keep it or release it, read it or not, but please make a journal entry to let me know it's been found. Keep it, pass it on to a friend or release it into the wild.... let the journey continue.....

If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! You can remain anonymous or join BookCrossing it's free, spam free and loads of fun.

Journal Entry 5 by wing6of8wing at Silver Spring, Maryland USA on Friday, February 02, 2018

Zippy passed this book to me when we got together for lunch today. I will add it to the Biography of Things Book Box, which should be ready to go out again in a week or so.

Journal Entry 6 by wing6of8wing at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA on Saturday, February 10, 2018

Released 5 mos ago (2/10/2018 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Maryland USA

This book is now in the Biographies of Things book box and on its way to Florida.

Journal Entry 7 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Saturday, April 07, 2018

Taking this out of the Biography of Things book box.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018

I totally love this book! An excellent biography of the small things in our kitchen, choke-ful of absolutely fascinating factoids.

Part of the reason I love it so much is that it's so international in its exploration of kitchen tools. As I grew up in Asia, too often I will read a micro history book about things, and it will only mention only the history and development in the western world, and I get a bit frustrated, hey, how about the rest of the world? I understand it's much harder to do research, not to mention tying it all together smoothly in the book, but I love it when the author takes into view the boarder scope, as in this book. When talking about ovens, he mention the tandoor. He compares cutting knives from different parts of the world, and he compares chopsticks of Japan and China. He even mentioned how the tradition of cutting food into smaller pieces has affected my overbite! Now I can wear it proudly as a badge of my ancestry!!

Putting it into the food bookbox.