corner corner A Soldier of the Great War

A Soldier of the Great War
by Mark Helprin | Literature & Fiction
Registered by melydia of Centreville, Virginia USA on 4/17/2016

status (set by melydia): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by melydia from Centreville, Virginia USA on Sunday, April 17, 2016

Received from a friend, who fell in love with this book. Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by melydia at Centreville, Virginia USA on Saturday, June 24, 2017

I don't generally like novels about war, but a friend bought me a copy of this book out of the blue because she had absolutely loved it. So I gave it a try. And did not love it. An old man and a young man walk along the road in Italy as the old man relates his life in WWI. Our protagonist isn't very interesting to me. Very masculine, unchanging, irresistible, nigh-indestructible. And extraordinarily long-winded. Lordy, but this is a long book. And maybe it would appeal to people who adore Italy during this time period, or are very interested in WWI, but it did not appeal to me.

Journal Entry 3 by melydia at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA on Sunday, June 25, 2017

Released 5 mos ago (6/25/2017 UTC) at Starbucks (Frontier Drive) in Springfield, Virginia USA

Taking to today's BCinDC meetup. If no one claims it, it'll go on the OBCZ shelf.

Welcome to BookCrossing!