corner corner Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
by BARACK OBAMA | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by Koivula5 of Nivala, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on 3/30/2016

status (set by tonykarlsson): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by Koivula5 from Nivala, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Wednesday, March 30, 2016

" I originally intended a very different book .... imagining myself to have something original to say about the current state of race relations .... in spite of the periodic impulse to abandon the entire project, what has found its way onto these pages is a record of a personal, interior journey - a boy's search for his father, and through that search a workable meaning for his life as a black American .... "

... autobiography, memoir, family history

Journal Entry 2 by Koivula5 at Nivala, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, April 23, 2016

Interesting. Especially the first and the last part. In the middle part Barack's urgent need to change things frustrated both him and the reader :) I had to (well, wanted to) copy a few lines from the book to my reading diary, to consider them later again. What puzzled and annoyed me at first was that for Barack (ha ha, now I call him by his first name as if we were close...) everything was about colour/race. I couldn't understand that. But eventually I started to see the way he felt. I still don't understand that completely but at least I can see some point in that.

Some notes from the book...
"HIS history.../ SOMEONE ELSE's history..." (school)

"In every society, young men are going to have violent tendencies. Either those tendencies are directed and disciplined in creative pursuits or those tendencies destroy the young men, or the society, or both."

(about jails) "All too rarely do I hear people asking just what it is that we've done to make so many children's hearts so hard (.....) Instead I see us do what we've always done - pretending that these children are somehow not our own."

Helmet: 26 (elämäkerta tai muistelu)
Popsugar: 16 (a political memoir) OR 32 (the first book you see in a bookstore)

Journal Entry 3 by Koivula5 at Hiekkasärkät in Kalajoki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Thursday, August 04, 2016

Released 11 mos ago (8/6/2016 UTC) at Hiekkasärkät in Kalajoki, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland

MEGAan Kalajoelle mukaan.

Journal Entry 4 by taavina at Raahe, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Ei löytänyt uutta lukijaa Megassa joten palautui minulle. Tarjoan tänään minimegamiitissä kahvila Hipussa.

Journal Entry 5 by Koivula5 at Raahe, Pohjois-Pohjanmaa / Norra Österbotten Finland on Saturday, August 27, 2016

Palautui takaisin minulle.

Journal Entry 6 by Koivula5 at CacheCon MEGA in Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Released 1 wk ago (7/15/2017 UTC) at CacheCon MEGA in Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

At the "BC-stall"

Journal Entry 7 by tonykarlsson at Porvoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 17, 2017

Picked this book up at a BookCrossing stand at Porvoo CacheCon 2017 last Saturday. I have read about BookCrossing before, but have not had any chance to use the platform until now. Now when the opportunity presented itself I grabbed this book, which seems like an interesting read. Thanks!