corner corner Manna from Hades: A Cornish Mystery (Cornish Mysteries)

Manna from Hades: A Cornish Mystery (Cornish Mysteries)
by Carola Dunn | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/8/2016

status (set by Bookworm-lady): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2016

The pace was a little slower than I would have liked, but it was still a good story. Eleanor is an interesting character with her international background, and though we learn something about her past, it would have been great to hear more. Such a change in her lifestyle from meeting important people worldwide, to her retirement in the small (fictional) village of Port Mabyn in Cornwall. I like that she works for charity, collecting donations for a shop on the first floor of her house.

Eleanor's niece Megan, a police detective, is also an interesting character whose position investigating this case (with a terribly grumpy superior) puts her in a tough position now and then because of her love for her aunt and her required loyalty to Inspector Scumble, who finds Eleanor extremely annoying. (So does this reader - Eleanor is both annoying and lovable at the same time.)

I did get some sense of Cornwall and life in a small village, enough to look for the next book in this series. [I've enjoyed Dunn's other series about Daisy Dalrymple, a journalist in 1920's England - quite different!]

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/9/2016 UTC) at Winchester, Massachusetts USA

Traveling to my partner in the St. Piran's Day Exchange. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Thank you sooo much for this book, and the beautiful parcel you have put together for me.
I think I will enjoy reading this one! :)