corner corner Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter: A Novel (Dixie Series)

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter: A Novel (Dixie Series)
by Lisa Patton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingeponine38wing of Winchester, Massachusetts USA on 3/5/2016

status (set by HI77): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingeponine38wing from Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Saturday, March 05, 2016

Amazon:
Leelee Satterfield seemed to have it all: a gorgeous husband, two adorable daughters, and roots in the sunny city of Memphis, Tennessee. So when her husband gets the idea to uproot the family to run a quaint Vermont inn, Leelee is devastated…and her three best friends are outraged. But she's loved Baker Satterfield since the tenth grade, how can she not indulge his dream? Plus, the glossy photos of bright autumn trees and smiling children in ski suits push her over the edge…after all, how much trouble can it really be?

But Leelee discovers pretty fast that there's a truckload of things nobody tells you about Vermont until you live there: such as mud season, vampire flies, and the danger of ice sheets careening off roofs. Not to mention when her beloved Yorkie decides to pick New Year's Eve to go to doggie heaven-she encounters one more New England oddity: frozen ground means you can't bury your dead in the winter. And that Yankee idiosyncrasy just won't do.

The inn they've bought also has its host of problems: an odor that no amount of potpourri can erase, tacky décor, and a staff of peculiar Vermonters whose personalities are as unique as the hippopotamus collection gracing the fireplace mantle. The whole operation is managed by Helga, a stern German woman who takes special delight in bullying Leelee for her southern gentility. Needless to say, it doesn't take long for Leelee to start wondering when to drag out the moving boxes again.

But when an unexpected hardship takes Leelee by surprise, she finds herself left alone with an inn to run, a mortgage to pay, and two daughters to raise. But this Southern belle won't be run out of town so easily. Drawing on the Southern grit and inner strength she didn't know she had, Leelee decides to turn around the Inn, her attitude and her life. In doing so, she makes friends with her neighbors, finds a little romance, and realizes there's a lot more in common with Vermont than she first thought.

In this moving and comedic debut, Lisa Patton paints a hilarious portrait of life in Vermont as seen through the eyes of a southern belle readers won't soon forget. A charming fish-out-of-water tale of one woman who learns to stand up for herself-in sandals and snow boots-against the odds.

Journal Entry 2 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, March 07, 2016

I really liked this light and often humorous story about a southerner's transplant to Vermont, to run an inn with her husband. Some events were a bit implausible, but I couldn't put it down. It has a cast of interesting, somewhat exaggerated characters, but the main story about Leelee's change from a timid people-pleasing type, to a self-assured and assertive woman is delightful. I found myself rooting for her all the way!

Journal Entry 3 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, March 28, 2016

A girl with a peach for

a personality,
sweet with a hard pit.

Journal Entry 4 by HI77 at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Friday, April 08, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (4/6/2016 UTC) at Fort Myers, Florida USA

This book really has a pretty cover. :)

But it's not really a type that I read and I didn't want it to sit around and collect dust. I found it was only to easy to find a new reader for it though. So off it goes to me make friends! ;)

To those new to this site:

"What is BookCrossing?'

It's the World's Library. It's a smart social networking site. It's a celebration of literature and a place where books get new life. BookCrossing is the act of giving a book a unique identity so, as the book is passed from reader to reader, it can be tracked and thus connecting its readers. There are currently 1,217,936 BookCrossers and 10,415,496 books travelling throughout 132 countries. Our community is changing the world and touching lives one book at a time.

This book is yours to keep, or read and pass on. Whichever you prefer is always ok!

We hope that you'll leave a journal entry here on where you found the book, or what you intend to do with it, or what you think of it. Anything you like really.

Even better if you join the site and become part of our group!

If you do join, please put 'HI77' as your referring member! :D