corner corner The Professor and the Madman

The Professor and the Madman
by Simon Winchester | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by terpegun of Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on 2/25/2004

status (set by MAI1978): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by terpegun from Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia on Wednesday, February 25, 2004

The men behind the Oxford English Language Dictionary and the trials and tribulations making it a reality.

Editorial Reviews

Book Description
The Professor and the Madman, masterfully researched and eloquently written, is an extraordinary tale of madness, genius, and the incredible obsessions of two remarkable men that led to the making of the Oxford English Dictionary--and literary history. The compilation of the OED, begun in 1857, was one of the most ambitious projects ever undertaken. As definitions were collected, the overseeing committee, led by Professor James Murray, discovered that one man, Dr. W C. Minor, had submitted more than ten thousand. When the committee insisted on honoring him, a shocking truth came to light: Dr. Minor, an American Civil War veteran, was also an inmate at an asylum for the criminally insane.

Journal Entry 2 by babyimran from Kajang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Thursday, July 29, 2004

Since I grabbed this book from a fellow bookcrosser, shall bring this book along with my French textbook and writing assignment for my trip down to JB. More from me later.

Aug. 2 - not only does it touches on the origin of the words or the entry in the dictionary. But also my favourite, the events of those time such as the American civil war.

August 16 - finished the book earlier but did not have time to add a quote from the book which I especially like.
This has been the story of an American soldier whose involvement in the making of he world’s greatest dictionary was singular, astonishing, memorable, and laudable – and yet at the same time wretchedly sad. And in the telling, it is tempting to forget that the circumstances that placed William Chester Minor in the position in which he was able to contribute all his time and energy to the making of the OED began with his horrible and unforgivable commission to murder.

Journal Entry 3 by MAI1978 on Tuesday, August 02, 2005