corner corner Pachinko

Hello stranger!

Pachinko
by Min Jin Lee | Literature & Fiction
Registered by wingEdwardstreetwing of Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on 1/6/2018

status (set by Arvores): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by wingEdwardstreetwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 06, 2018

Thank you for picking up this book! Please make a journal entry here to let me know that this book has found a good home with you. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (its free). If you join, please consider indicating that Edwardstreet referred you. I hope you enjoy the book. You can make another journal entry with your comments when you’ve finished reading. Whenever you’re ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or release notes if you are leaving it "in the wild" again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey. You’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. It’s confidential (you’re known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), and spam-free.
Wellington Bookcrossers get together often. Contact Edward Street for details. We would love you to join us.

Journal Entry 2 by wingEdwardstreetwing at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Released 6 mos ago (1/10/2018 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

I enjoyed the first half of the book , the second half lacked depth and excitment for me.

Journal Entry 3 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Thank you Edwardstreet, the book arrived today. What a pretty cover :)
I read another review which also said they preferred the first half of the book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingkeeta1wing at Howick, Auckland Province New Zealand on Friday, May 11, 2018

A story about the Zainichi (Koreans who moved to Japan during colonial rule), starting in 1910 and ending several generations later in 1989. These Koreans are never fully accepted in Japan and are treated as foreigners their whole lives, as are their children, even if they are born in Japan.
The Pachinko of the title is a form of Japanese pinball and gambling, which plays a large part in the lives of the families in the book.
Overall a very enjoyable and quite informative book. Luckily for me, I enjoyed the whole thing :)

Yeongdo, Korea 1911. In a small fishing village on the banks of the East Sea, a club-footed, cleft-lipped man marries a fifteen-year-old girl. The couple have one child, their beloved daughter Sunja. When Sunja falls pregnant by a married yakuza, the family face ruin. But then Isak, a Christian minister, offers her a chance of salvation: a new life in Japan as his wife.
Following a man she barely knows to a hostile country in which she has no friends, no home, and whose language she cannot speak, Sunja's salvation is just the beginning of her story.
Through eight decades and four generations, Pachinko is an epic tale of family, identity, love, death and survival.

Journal Entry 5 by wingkeeta1wing at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Released 2 mos ago (5/15/2018 UTC) at By Post, By Post -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to Arvores in Portugal for the tag game :)
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by wingArvoreswing at Porto Santo (ilha), Madeira Portugal on Monday, June 04, 2018

The book arrived today, with a beautiful card and bookmark.
Thank you SO much.