corner corner Pompeii

Pompeii
by Robert Harris | Literature & Fiction
Registered by Andrea99 of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on 1/24/2016

status (set by eponine38): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Andrea99 from Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bought from a charity shop in George Street, Hove on 24th January 2016

Journal Entry 2 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Saturday, January 30, 2016

This is a really good read!! It's a fact based fiction starting 2 days before the eruption of Vesuvius in 79AD and surrounds four characters...... the aquaduct engineer, a corrupt politician, his daughter and a philospher and provides clues that hint towards the catastrophic events but are misunderstood and puzzled over.....

Journal Entry 3 by Andrea99 at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, February 22, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/22/2016 UTC) at Brighton & Hove, East Sussex United Kingdom

Mailed to the winner of the Iconic sweepstakes. Hope you enjoy!!

Journal Entry 4 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Thank you so much for this book - which I've heard good things about - from the Iconic sweepstakes! (Can't believe I won!) Thanks also for the lovely homemade card & envelope, and bookmark.

Journal Entry 5 by wingeponine38wing at Winchester, Massachusetts USA on Monday, August 29, 2016

This was one of my favorite reads of the year. I finished it 24 hours ago and I'm still thinking (obsessing?) about the good writing, the varied characters, and the sad fate of Pompeii. I learned a lot about Roman civilization - both the amazing and the disgusting (!)- and wish this had already been published when I visited Pompeii on a High School summer trip, many, many years ago. Would love to go back now--probably a lot more has been excavated since then. And as much as I liked it then, I'd surely appreciate it more now.

I never really understood how aqueducts worked; never gave it much thought, actually. I knew they were pretty structures, but evidently I had an embarrassing lack of curiosity about them. What these ancient civilizations accomplished is truly amazing. This makes me wish my Ancient History teacher in High School had been less of a comedian and more of an instructor. :-)

Harris cleverly worked Pliny the Elder into what was otherwise a fictional cast of characters. Great job!

I know a book has affected me when I keep interrupting the read to google people, places, and/or things! This happened many times during the course of reading Pompeii.

Well, this JE is a bit rambling, so I'll close now. Thanks again, Andrea99, for sending this my way!

Journal Entry 6 by wingeponine38wing at Little Free Library, 56 Middlesex Tpke in Burlington, Massachusetts USA on Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (8/30/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library, 56 Middlesex Tpke in Burlington, Massachusetts USA

Left in the LFL at about 2:30. Hope someone will enjoy it as much as I did!

Released for Leap Into the Wild Challenge hosted by AlterEgoZoe.
Released for Keep Them Moving Challenge hosted by booklady331.
Released for 2016 One Word Challenge hosted by booklady331.

DEAR FINDER,

Welcome to BookCrossing!

I hope you enjoy the book!