corner corner How to Cook a Wolf

How to Cook a Wolf
by M. F. K. Fisher | Other
Registered by wingbookczukwing of Charleston, South Carolina USA on 2/24/2004

status (set by bookczuk): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I found this in my favorite used book store today. Will read and then offer to other food lovig bookcrossers as a ring or ray.

Annotation
First published in 1942 when wartime shortages were at their worst, this book addresses the problem of cooking within a budget - contains more than 70 creative and economical recipes.

From the Publisher
Laced with Fisher's delightful and high-spirited cultural commentary are: the simple plan of balancing each day, not each meal; a section on "How to Keep Alive;" and more than seventy creative and economical recipes for soups, fish, eggs, bread, ham and beef, and cakes. How to Cook a Wolf offers a timeless model for cooking, eating, and living pleasurably under any circumstance.

Journal Entry 2 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, August 08, 2005

I think I'm gonna keep this one- the stories and recipies are just too much fun to pass it along now!

Journal Entry 3 by wingbookczukwing from Charleston, South Carolina USA on Monday, August 08, 2005

I'm keeping this one, simply to enjoy the various gems tucked throughout. This is a reprint of the 1951 edition, which was created by the author adding marginal annotations to the 1942 original. That only makes it better to my mind. Many of these notes are along the lines of "What the heck was I thinking?" and I can almost imagine a wry grin inserted here or there. She's also added in tips what to do once the war rationing is over...I can't find the exact passage, but she bemoans the butter substitutes that emerged saying she'd rather have a little of something good than a lot of an inferior product...and if you need to make this dish during times of shortage, then by all means follow her initial advice. But if you have a plethora at hand in times of abundance, then the has her advice for that too.

I've always liked her cookery books for the exploration of food as an art, touching on the mixing of flavors, the importance and addition of colors, and textures to a meal. I cook like that- knowing my flavors and tastes- the aromas and how they blend....that is such a part of the meal.

Some of the recipes are dates, and not to our style of eating today, but still interesting to read. There's a killer gingerbread recipe that I want to try, too. It's good writing, good reading, and I imagine good food....whether there's a wolf is at your door or not.

Journal Entry 4 by wingbookczukwing at Charleston, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Released 6 mos ago (11/13/2017 UTC) at Charleston, South Carolina USA

Sent to my sister in New Hampshire. Surprise!