corner corner I'm Proud of You

by Tim Madigan | Biographies & Memoirs
Registered by ghir of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 1/17/2016

status (set by ghir): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by ghir from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, January 17, 2016

Subtitle: Life Lessons from my Friend Fred Rogers.

Tim Madigan interviewed Mr. Rogers in 1995 for an article for his newspaper and maintained contact with him the rest of his (F.R.'s) life. This friendship helped Madigan through some difficult events in his life.

Throughout this book, something just did not sit right for me. Mr. Rogers was an exceptionally kind person who inspired millions, whether they knew him personally or not. He did support and nurture the author. But I don't buy the author's attempts to establish that the friendship was close and mutual. In fact, the author shows that Mr. Rogers was very good at establishing intimacy and getting Madigan to disclose painful details, but Rogers did not reveal much about himself. Madigan comes off like a guy who thinks because a girl is nice to him they are in a relationship. Mr. Rogers tells him that it means a lot that he trusts him enough to share his pain, but when Rogers falls ill Madigan is not within the circle that is informed and he probes for info from others. Mr. Rogers's communications with him seem patronizing, in a literal sense of Rogers being an emotional/spiritual patron, with the riches flowing in one direction. I'm not sure if Madigan does not see this discrepancy, or whether it is just easier to sell a book about "life lessons from my good friend, Mr. Rogers," rather than "I met Mr. Rogers and he was unusually kind to me whenever I needed attention, despite not being particularly close."

Journal Entry 2 by ghir at Manoa Valley District Park in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, October 21, 2017

Released 1 mo ago (10/21/2017 UTC) at Manoa Valley District Park in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

This book is registered at BookCrossing.com to track its journey through this world. You can make a journal entry (anonymously, if you like) to say you found it, then read it and/or pass it on for someone else to enjoy. Thank you!