corner corner Uprooted

Uprooted
by Naomi Novik | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by locker-monster of Calgary, Alberta Canada on 1/9/2016

status (set by reveredchicken): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by locker-monster from Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 09, 2016

Welcome to BookCrossing! This book is now yours to do with as you please. Keep it and read it or pass it on after you're done. Before you do, please considering making a quick journal entry. We can all track this book's journey and the lives it touches forever more!

Journal Entry 2 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 09, 2016

I love Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, so I was interested to see her writing something else. While the book is a little slow to start out, there is a rich world here and the way magic works is a bit different from other books. Agnieszka and Dragon have a very snarky relationship, but it's kind of fun to see them squabbling with each other.
------------
“Our Dragon doesn’t eat the girls he takes, no matter what stories they tell outside our valley. We hear them sometimes, from travelers passing through. They talk as though we were doing human sacrifice, and he were a real dragon. Of course that’s not true: he may be a wizard and immortal, but he’s still a man, and our fathers would band together and kill him if he wanted to eat one of us every ten years. He protects us against the Wood, and we’re grateful, but not that grateful.”

Agnieszka loves her valley home, her quiet village, the forests and the bright shining river. But the corrupted Wood stands on the border, full of malevolent power, and its shadow lies over her life.

Her people rely on the cold, driven wizard known only as the Dragon to keep its powers at bay. But he demands a terrible price for his help: one young woman handed over to serve him for ten years, a fate almost as terrible as falling to the Wood.

The next choosing is fast approaching, and Agnieszka is afraid. She knows—everyone knows—that the Dragon will take Kasia: beautiful, graceful, brave Kasia, all the things Agnieszka isn’t, and her dearest friend in the world. And there is no way to save her.

But Agnieszka fears the wrong things. For when the Dragon comes, it is not Kasia he will choose.

Journal Entry 3 by locker-monster at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 16, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (1/17/2016 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Releasing this book as part of the Calgary BookCrossing wrapped book exchange.

Journal Entry 4 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, January 18, 2016

Got at the wrapped gift exchange! So excited!

Journal Entry 5 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Loved this story! The writing style was great and had a storyteller quality to it. I loved Agnieszka. Also loved the Dragon and Kasia, as well as their relationships with Agnieszka. There was a lot of other well written characters too. It was quite a comprehensive fairy tale adventure which I found really hard to put down.

Thanks for the amazing read!

Journal Entry 6 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, June 18, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (6/18/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taken to coffee

Journal Entry 7 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, June 19, 2017

I picked this up at the mini-meeting today. Thank you, Eri-Cherry!

Journal Entry 8 by Minerva101 at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, January 13, 2018

Released 4 days ago (1/13/2018 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the Bookcrossing meeting at Cravings to find a new reader.
Happy Reading :)

Journal Entry 9 by reveredchicken at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, January 14, 2018

Picked this book up at the monthly book crossing meeting at Cravings Market Restaurant.