corner corner Lost Horizon: A Novel

Lost Horizon: A Novel
by James Hilton | Literature & Fiction
Registered by buttonbright of Raleigh, North Carolina USA on 3/21/2016

status (set by iwillrejoice): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by buttonbright from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 21, 2016

I have wanted to read this book since I was a child watching the movie version starring Ronald Colman and Jane Wyatt on TV.

It is the story of a chance for healing given to a World War I veteran who has been psychologically damaged by the war and living out his life as consular staff in remote outposts of the British Empire. Escaping from an Afghan city in turmoil in an air rescue mission, Hugh Conway and three others discover that their pilot has hijacked the plane. Instead of taking them to safety in India, they are flown to the most remote region of Tibet and saved from freezing to death by the lamas of a remote Buddhist monastery called Shangri-La.

Written during the Great Depression, the book is a Utopian novel that describes Shangri-La as a haven in a world set on self-destruction that promotes a philosophy mixing Buddhist and Christian values and holding a secret to extremely long life. Conway and his three companions each react differently to the environment, but the story is about the healing nature of the place on Conway's damaged soul.

The book suffers from undeveloped and stereotyped female characters, but James Hilton's prose is still a delight to read. It has instilled a desire in me to see the 1937 Frank Capra film again that was restored in 1986 and released on DVD in 1999.

Journal Entry 2 by buttonbright at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (3/22/2016 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

Mailed as a Random Act of BookCrossing Kindness to a BookCrosser in San Luis Obispo, CA. It was on their Wish List.

Wish? Did somebody say "Wish"?
Mekka-lekka-hai, mekka-hiney-ho!
Mekka-lekka-hai, mekka-channi-ho!
The wish has been granted.
Long live Jambi!

Journal Entry 3 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, March 28, 2016

Looking forward to the read, thanks!!!

Journal Entry 4 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, March 20, 2017

Released 7 mos ago (3/20/2017 UTC) at San Luis Obispo, California USA

If you found this book while in the area of San Luis Obispo, CA. feel free to come by and check out Joe Mommas which houses our bookshelf! We also hold our local meetups on the first Tuesday of each month at 5pm there, please come join the fun! The books on the shelf are free to for you to read, enjoy and pass along to another!

Cleaning off shelves & sending books into the world!

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster

Journal Entry 5 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Thursday, March 23, 2017

Arrived safely today. Thanks so much! I loved the film, & look forward to finally reading the book!

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Wednesday, August 23, 2017

I now have a second copy of this, so will reserve this one to release on an upcoming road trip.

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Clarion Hotel in Grand Junction, Colorado USA on Thursday, September 28, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (9/28/2017 UTC) at Clarion Hotel in Grand Junction, Colorado USA

Left on a bench in the Clarion Hotel. Happy travels, little book!