corner corner The Black Spectacles

The Black Spectacles
by John Dickson Carr | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by wingKafka1954wing of Deurne, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on 12/5/2015

status (set by JdV988): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingKafka1954wing from Deurne, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Saturday, December 05, 2015

This is a Dr. Gideon Fell mystery, which right away tells you that it is a locked-room mystery. This time, though, it’s not quite a locked room, and the author plays lots of tricks with us to make it all work. There is a poisoner loose in the small village. First, candies in the local candyshop have been poisoned, causing the death of one young boy and the severe illness of several others. Nobody can figure out how the candies were poisoned, it just didn’t seem possible. Later the blame falls on a young woman, Marjorie, the ward of Dr. Chesney, a very wealthy man. Although there is no solid proof of her being the poisoner, the villagers have all taken against her, and she can no longer show her face. After a while, Dr. Chesney offers to show proof of how the chocolates were poisoned. He set up a meticulous little charade where all of the usual suspects were called into the darkened library. He asks them to take certain seats, and then the show begins. He goes and sits behind his desk and picks up a pencil and pretends to write, then puts it down and picks up what looks like a pen and also pretends to write. Then, a tall mufflered figure wearing a top hat comes in through the garden doors and puts a capsule in the Dr.’s mouth. The mysterious figure leaves. The doctor after a short time, maybe a minute or two, falls across his desk – dead. When the spectators realize what has happened, they rush outside to see if they can find out who the figure was. What they find is the costume thrown about and the butler lying unconscious on the ground with a nasty wound on his head from a poker. Who was the poisoner, since none of the principal suspects left the room. Enter Dr. Fell. It takes a while, but you know he’s going to solve it – and he does.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKafka1954wing at Zwerfboekenrek Sint-Jozefziekenhuis in Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, December 06, 2015

Released 1 yr ago (12/9/2015 UTC) at Zwerfboekenrek Sint-Jozefziekenhuis in Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

Farewell, book! Find pastures new!
And please tell me about your travels...

(D-December challenge)

Journal Entry 3 by JdV988 at Turnhout, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Sunday, August 14, 2016

I was waiting for my mum at the hospital when I saw a shelf with stray books. So I thought I might as well read a bit while waiting.
This book caught my eye because of the BookCrossing label.
I haven't had the chance to read far ahead when my mum arrived, so I took it home to read later.

Journal Entry 4 by JdV988 at Merksplas, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Monday, November 07, 2016

Finally read it. As Kafka already said, it is a locked-room mystery.
I enjoyed the story and its mystery, and couldn't put it down when I was close to the revealing of the truth.

Journal Entry 5 by JdV988 at Sportcentrum 't Hofeind in Merksplas, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium on Thursday, November 10, 2016

Released 11 mos ago (11/9/2016 UTC) at Sportcentrum 't Hofeind in Merksplas, Antwerpen / Anvers Belgium

On to the next reader.