corner corner Rogue Island

Rogue Island
by Bruce DeSilva | Mystery & Thrillers
Registered by winghyphen8wing of Honolulu, Hawaii USA on 11/15/2015

status (set by eastbaybookmisr): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by winghyphen8wing from Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Sunday, November 15, 2015

Trade paperback.

I needed a Rhode Island book for NancyNova's 2015 MultiYear States Challenge, and I picked this one.

Providence reporter L.S.A. Mulligan is not happy: he'd much rather try to figure out who is setting fires in his old neighborhood than do a feel-good story about a loyal dog trekking cross-country, but his boss disagrees. Meanwhile, things with his girlfriend are heating up...

Journal Entry 2 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Tuesday, November 17, 2015

A few notes about this book:

• I've never seen something described as "darn right healthy". To me this should be "downright healthy"...but maybe it's a regional thing?

• I like this quote: "Princes never fully appreciate the survival tactics of their serfs."

• I figured out something important about the story at least a hundred pages before Mulligan did, but I still enjoyed the story.

• I hope the running gags of "Thanks-Dad" and Dorcas's standard phone greeting don't continue too much in the rest of the series; they started getting old fairly quickly.

Journal Entry 3 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (11/17/2015 UTC) at Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Headed for Pennsylvania..which is at least closer to Rhode Island than Hawaii is! ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm so glad you've found this book!

Won't you please make a journal entry to let the book's previous readers know that it's safely in your hands? How did you find it? What did you think of it? What are you going to do with it next?

If you've ever wondered where your books go after they leave your hands, join BookCrossing and you may find out: you'll be able to follow the further adventures of your books as new readers make journal entries - sometimes from surprisingly far-flung locations.

(Think of it like Where's George for books...or a little like geocaching - you can follow the book's journey every time someone makes a new entry. Some BookCrossers even leave books *in* geocaches!)

BookCrossing: making the whole world a library!

Journal Entry 4 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 26, 2015

This lovely rabck showed up! Adding to the ABC TBR stash for reading. Thanks!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNancyNovawing at Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, March 19, 2016

Like hyphen8, I picked this for the states challenge.

Quirky offbeat light mystery. Blue collar reporter trying to figure out who's burning down his old neighborhood and why. Enjoyable light read - and I liked "Thanks-Dad" and other gags running throughout the book

Journal Entry 6 by wingNancyNovawing at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, March 27, 2016

Released 2 yrs ago (3/28/2016 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

A Rabck. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Wednesday, April 06, 2016

Caught this a couple days ago in the mail, as a Wishlist RABCK! Thank you!

2010 Doherty trade paperback. This was on my list of best modern debut thrillers to read.

Edit February 6, 2018: I have mixed feelings. I enjoyed the dark humor, but I found the pervasive, embedded corruption of Rhode Island as presented here to be just so incredibly depressing. The storyline has a few red herrings that don't really get resolved, but I guess that is true to life. I currently have this ranked at #601 on my ranked list of best-read books lately.

Journal Entry 8 by eastbaybookmisr at Little Free Library at 5871 Skyline Blvd. in Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Released 4 mos ago (2/6/2018 UTC) at Little Free Library at 5871 Skyline Blvd. in Oakland, California USA

... in the box.