corner corner Otters In Space: The Search for Cat Havana

Otters In Space: The Search for Cat Havana
by Mary E Lowd | Science Fiction & Fantasy
Registered by Greyflank of Brick, New Jersey USA on 12/5/2015

status (set by quietorchid): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by Greyflank from Brick, New Jersey USA on Saturday, December 05, 2015

From Mary E. Lowd, a book for a review.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by Greyflank at Brick, New Jersey USA on Monday, January 11, 2016

In an upifted universe, where the humans sneaked away when no one was looking, Earth is largely Cats and Dogs. The Dogs rule, at least in North America, and two sisters are trying to get more feline representation in what is supposedly a democracy. Events conspire to separate the sisters, and the level headed sister, Kipper, is forced into a wild adventure to find her sister, or at least solve the mystery that seems to threaten them both.

This is a wonderfully subversive book, doing what I think Furry does best, talking about racism. The story-telling is clean and straight forward, suitable for all audiences, and buried in all that are these tales of cultural differences.

The ruling class, despite Dogs being made of all different breeds, seemed to have banded into trying to bar Cats in space. We can see very real world examples on this theme everyday. Trump screams to block Muslims entry to the US is in the news these days. Locally, my wife was part of a grand jury vetting process last week. 20 white men, 7 white women, 1 black lady. The panel asked everyone what they did for a living, except the black woman. They asked her "IF SHE WORKED." She did. By letting Petra be a Cat, Mary E. Lowd can show you all these things dressed up in different ways and slip it by our little filters, our own prejudices.

And when Petra meets the Otters in person, she wonders, understandably, if Otters used to hanging exclusively with Otters, understand her Cat expressions. Their ears don't move the same way. Their tails don't express the same way. From her point of view, too, the Otters seem to be SMILING. All The Time. She finds this very off-putting.

These biological differences seem to me an allusion to real world cultural differences.

For example, over a decade ago there were riots in Los Angeles when African American residents burned down many of the stores owned by Korean shopkeepers. After the fires were out, we learned that the African Americans felt disrespected because the Korean Americans wouldn't look them in the eye while the Koreans felt they were showing respect by averting their eyes.

Yes, cultural differences aren't the same as being biological diverse, but its easy to see the allegorical leap here.

And it goes further when Kipper learns prejudice infects her own Species. Not just by hating their oppressors, the Dogs, but by turning against others Breeds of Cats.

This is the kind of book you could tuck a child of 8 into bed with a chapter at a time. Young girls not ready for The Hunger Games, can run with Petra to Mexico. Adults who don't like sexual or romantic subplots, will enjoy this book. Hard Science Fiction fans may find this tale a little light, but there's science and rules about space travel tucked in there.

Journal Entry 3 by Greyflank at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Friday, February 05, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/7/2016 UTC) at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

This is a Memorial Release For Teddy Sexton.

Teddy passed away July 24, 2012. Since then, I've given myself the job of spreading the books he left behind as if they were his ashes. Not all of the books I'm releasing during this time were his; but the bulk have been. I still have many, many of his books left to share.

For QuietorChild for reading and/or Sharing.

To the finder of this book, please enjoy it. Please share it with someone. Please help it travel. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by quietorchid at Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, February 11, 2016

Part of a very welcome box of SF books for a little library.

Amusing tale of a world where Humans took off, Dogs took over, and Cats got left in the cold. I read the first 3 chapters and enjoyed the interplay between Kipper, her sister, and the nefarious embezzlement schemes of siphoning money from Dog corporations. Also the isdea of an orange Tabby running as a forlorn hope for City Council, as everone knows a tortie would do a bertter job than an orange tabby....

Journal Entry 5 by quietorchid at Little Free Library -Dale (#0710) in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA on Thursday, February 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/11/2016 UTC) at Little Free Library -Dale (#0710) in Saint Paul, Minnesota USA

Left on the shelf to find a new reader!

Welcome to Bookcrossing, where Books roam freely! I hope you enjoy the book, and leave a journal entry so I can see where the book ended up. You can remain anonymous if you'd like, or join and follow the book's travels throughout the world. The site is free, secure, and non-spamming. Take a look around, and then go read!